Lagrangian Dynamics: Potential Energy formulation with spring and gra

In summary, when determining the equations of motion using Hamiltonian or Lagrangian methods, the choice of potential energy formulation depends on the definition of the neutral position. If the neutral position is where the gravitational force is cancelled, then the potential energy is simply given by .5Kx^2. However, if the neutral position is defined as the stationary point in the absence of gravity, then the potential energy would also include the term m*g*x. This can be achieved through a coordinate transformation and an overall shift in potential energy.
swraman
Hi,

I have a conceptual question regarding Lagrangian dynamics. It has to do with the potential energy formulation. My instructor today mentioned something in class that does not make much sense to me.

Here is he most basic example that illustrates my confusion:

Take a simple 1dof system of a spring and a mass:
A mass M on top of a vertical massless spring (stiffness K), constrained to only move up and down (with and against gravity). I will call the mass's upward displacement from the neutral position +x.

Goal: determine the equations of motion using Hamiltonian or Lagrangian methods.

The kinetic energy is simple:
[tex]KE=.5m(v)^2[/tex]

v being the time derivative of x.

The Potential energy is where I am confused. Would it be:

PE = [tex].5Kx^2 [/tex]

OR

[tex]PE = .5Kx^2 + m*g*x[/tex]

I would guess the latter, but apparently I am wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This would depend on how you define the "neutral" position. The first choice would be that the neutral position is where the gravitational force exactly cancels that of the spring, i.e., the stable point of the system. The second choice would just correspond to a different choice of coordinates. The two choices are related by a coordinate transformation ##x \to x + a## along with an overall shift of the potential energy.

If ##V = kx^2/2## and we do the coordinate transformation, then
$$
V \to k(x+a)^2/2 = kx^2/2 + kax + k a^2/2.
$$
Subtracting the constant ##ka^2/2## and letting ##a = mg/k##, we obtain the second option. This corresponds to a coordinate system where the spring is providing zero force at ##x = 0##, i.e., the spring is in a position that would be the stationary point if gravity was not present.

1. What is Lagrangian Dynamics?

Lagrangian Dynamics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of particles in a mechanical system. It is based on the principle of least action, where the path that a particle takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action (a measure of energy) of the system.

2. How is Potential Energy involved in Lagrangian Dynamics?

Potential Energy is a key component in the Lagrangian formulation. It is a measure of the energy that a particle possesses due to its position in a force field. In Lagrangian Dynamics, potential energy is used to calculate the forces acting on a particle, which then determine its motion.

3. What is the significance of using a spring in Lagrangian Dynamics?

A spring is often used in Lagrangian Dynamics as an example of a simple mechanical system. The potential energy of a spring can be easily calculated using Hooke's Law, making it a useful tool for understanding the principles of Lagrangian Dynamics. Additionally, springs are commonly found in many real-world mechanical systems, so understanding their behavior in Lagrangian Dynamics can be applied to practical applications.

4. How does the inclusion of gravity affect the potential energy in Lagrangian Dynamics?

In Lagrangian Dynamics, the potential energy of a particle in a gravitational field is determined by its position relative to a reference point. As the particle moves, its potential energy changes, which in turn affects its motion. The inclusion of gravity in the potential energy formulation allows for the analysis of systems with varying gravitational fields, such as objects in orbit around a planet.

5. What is the relationship between kinetic and potential energy in Lagrangian Dynamics?

In Lagrangian Dynamics, kinetic and potential energy are both used to describe the energy of a system. The total energy of a system is the sum of its kinetic and potential energies, and the balance between the two determines the behavior of the system. As a system evolves, kinetic energy may be converted into potential energy and vice versa, demonstrating the conservation of energy in the system.