LCC 205 8.4.12 sine substitution

In summary, The integral $I$ is equal to $\sqrt{3}-\frac{\pi}{3}$, with a substitution of $x = \sin(u)$ and $dx = \cos(u)du$. The limits of integration are from $\frac{\pi}{6}$ to $\frac{\pi}{2}$ and the resulting integral is $\int_{a}^{b} \frac{\cos^{2}{u}}{\sin^{2}{u}}du$ which can be solved using a table reference as $-\cot(u)-u$. The final answer is $\sqrt{3}-\frac{\pi}{3}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{LCC \ \ 205 \ \ \ 8.4.12 \ \ sine \ \ substitution }$
$$\displaystyle
I=\int_{1/2}^{1} \frac{\sqrt{1-{x}^{2 }}}{{x}^{2 }} \ dx $$
Substitution
$$\displaystyle
x = \sin \left({u}\right)
\ \ \ dx=\cos\left({u}\right)\ du $$
Change of variables
$$\arcsin\left({1/2 }\right)=\frac{\pi}{6}=a
\ \ \ \arcsin\left({1}\right)=\frac{\pi}{2}=b$$
$$\displaystyle
I=\int_{a}^{b}
\frac{\sqrt{1-\sin^{2 }{u}}}{\sin^{2 }{u} }
\cos\left({u}\right) \ du
\implies
\int_{a}^{b}
\frac{\cos^{2 }{u}}{\sin^{2 }{u} } \ du
\implies\int_{a}^{b} \cot^2 \left({u}\right) \ du $$
By table reference
$$\displaystyle
I=-\cot{u}-u+C$$
Then
$$\displaystyle
I=\left[I\right]_{\pi/2}^{\pi/6} +C
=\sqrt{3}-\frac{\pi}{3}+C$$
No book answer, not sure of proper notation 🏄

$\tiny{\text{from math study group at Surf The Nations}}$
🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄🏄

Physics news on Phys.org
Should be $$\large{\left.I\right|^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{\frac{\pi}{6}}}$$ and you don't need a constant of integration as it's a definite integral. Other than those two things it looks good. :)

So then..
$\displaystyle
\large{\left.I\right|
^{\pi/2}_{\pi/6}}
=\sqrt{3}-\frac{\pi}{3} $

Related to LCC 205 8.4.12 sine substitution

1. What is "LCC 205 8.4.12 sine substitution"?

"LCC 205 8.4.12 sine substitution" is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions, specifically the sine function.

2. How does sine substitution work?

Sine substitution involves substituting a trigonometric function, in this case the sine function, with another variable in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. When is sine substitution used?

Sine substitution is used when solving integrals that involve the sine function, particularly when the integral cannot be solved by other methods such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

4. What are the steps involved in using sine substitution?

The steps involved in sine substitution are: identifying the integral that requires sine substitution, choosing an appropriate substitution (usually involving the sine function), making the substitution and simplifying the integral, and then solving the integral using basic integration techniques.

5. What are the benefits of using sine substitution?

Sine substitution can make solving certain integrals much simpler and more manageable. It also allows for a wider range of integrals to be solved, as some integrals can only be solved using sine substitution. Additionally, sine substitution can help to develop a deeper understanding of trigonometric functions and their relationships to other mathematical concepts.