LCD screen manufacturing process simplification?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transparent transistors on LCD glass screens and the possibility of using a demultiplexer circuit to improve the physical connection between the glass wires and the silicon chip wires. However, it is concluded that the transistors currently available for glass screens are of low quality and not suitable for demultiplexing. The idea of using a layer of substance to enable the use of faster transistors on the edges of the screen is also mentioned, citing examples from Japan.
Cybersoya
Hello

I am no expert so i apologize if the answer is trivial.I was wondering, if they can manufacture a transparent transistor on every (sub)pixel of LCD glass screen, why are they using "COF (Chip-On-Flex) or COG (Chip-On-Glass construction)" to connect every (sub)pixels' tiny wire at the end of row/column with LCD driver chip? Wouldn't it be much easyer to align neccesary tiny wires with connectors, if (non)transparent demulitplexer circuit was photolithographically "etched"(at the same time as pixel transistors are etched), so that connetcing wires leading to driver chip could be less tiny, less in number, and so easyer to connect (with less throwaway LCDs)?
I am only talking about physical connection of (individual column/row) LCD glass wires -to- (silicon)chip wires, i know that further down only few signal wires are needed to drive LCD.Thanks for answers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The transistors that can be manufactured on glass are of low quality. They are adequate to turn the pixel on and off, but they are too slow and too weak to do the demultiplexing.

Likes berkeman
Thank you for answer.

That's a pity. Wouldnt it be nice, if they were searching for innovation in this direction, maybe to "evaporate" or "spray" extra layer of some substance on edges of LCD screen, that would enable them to put real/fast transistors on top of it.
For instance, I've heard that in Japan they managed to put entire Zilog Z80 microprocessor on a transparent glass substrate, albeit it was bigger than ordinary Z80 die - but "macroscopic" size of transistors wouldn't matter for LCD screen if they were put at the edges, i think.

http://www.z80.info/sharp/z80_glas.htm
https://original.sharpmz.org/z80glass.htm

Cybersoya said:
That's a pity. Wouldnt it be nice,
If wishes were fishes...

1. How does the LCD screen manufacturing process work?

The LCD screen manufacturing process involves several steps, including glass substrate preparation, alignment layer coating, liquid crystal injection, and polarizing film attachment. These steps are repeated multiple times to create a layered structure that forms the LCD screen. The entire process is done in a cleanroom environment to ensure the quality of the final product.

2. What are the benefits of simplifying the LCD screen manufacturing process?

Simplifying the LCD screen manufacturing process can lead to cost and time savings. By reducing the number of steps and materials involved, the production process becomes more efficient and cost-effective. It also reduces the risk of defects and improves the overall quality of the LCD screens.

3. How can the LCD screen manufacturing process be simplified?

There are several ways to simplify the LCD screen manufacturing process. One approach is to use fewer layers in the screen structure, which reduces the number of coating and assembly steps. Another method is to use new materials or technologies that require less processing. Additionally, optimizing the production line layout and automating certain steps can also help simplify the process.

4. What are the challenges of simplifying the LCD screen manufacturing process?

One challenge of simplifying the LCD screen manufacturing process is maintaining the quality and performance of the final product. Any changes to the process must be carefully tested and validated to ensure that the screens meet the required standards. Another challenge is the initial investment required to implement new technologies or equipment for the simplified process.

5. How does simplification impact the environmental sustainability of LCD screen production?

By simplifying the LCD screen manufacturing process, there is a potential to reduce the use of energy, water, and raw materials, which can have a positive impact on the environment. Simplification can also lead to less waste and pollution during production. However, it is important to carefully assess and monitor the environmental impacts of any changes made to the manufacturing process.