Learning how to formulate scientific reasoning in physics or "physics language"

In summary, Edward Redish is a professor of physics who has been doing research on how to improve the scientific reasoning of students for many decades. He observes that students have problems with formulating answers to questions correctly, and he believes that this can be improved by teaching them more about the "physics language". He also believes that the development of physical reasoning skills is beneficial to students in general, and he recommends that students focus on answering conceptual questions in order to improve their ability to reason. Finally, he encourages students to be persistent and to not cut corners when learning physics.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Dear all,

to become a teacher I have to deduct a research to improve my teaching and/or to "solve" a didactical problem I encounter. This research, my proposal for a solution etc. has to be motivated by scientific literature.

I observed that a lot of students have problems with formulating answers to questions correctly. Especially with conceptual questions often they formulate quite sloppy, but from their answers I often smell (I have a good nose :P ) that they're looking for it in the right direction. So I chose to investigate whether and how I can improve their physical/scientific reasoning. They have to get more acquinted with the "physics language". So my research question more or less is

"How can I improve the scientific reasoning of my students in describing physical concepts"?

The reason for my choice is my conviction that STEM education, and thus physics, improves the skill of reasoning and problem solving in general, and that my ambition to improve their scientific reasoning helps with developing this skill.

I think I want to focus mainly on answering conceptual questions.describing physical concepts, because in answering questions with a "calculational" emphasis they use the familiar steps of "what is given, what is asked, which formula etc". I already found some literature in my own language (Dutch), and I was wondering whether some of you know of international literature/research concerning my research question. Also, literature subscribing or critizing my conviction is welcome! If some of you have tried to improve something similarly in STEM education in general, I'm happy to hear about your experiences!

I hope my question is clear, all input is appreciated! All the best :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes BvU
Science news on Phys.org
Edward Redish, Professor of Physics at the University of Maryland, has been doing research in the issues of learning/teaching physics for many decades. I first discovered his program in an article published in "Physics Today", a monthly publication of the American Institute of Physics, entitled "Teaching Physics: Figuring Out What Works" in which he discusses some issues in problem solving . You can download it here https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.882568

You may also want to check out his website too.
http://umdperg.pbworks.com/w/page/10511199/Joe Redish

Likes BvU
Physics Today is behind a pay wall, but the PERG site has lots of good stuff !

Likes BvU
haushofer said:
Dear all,

to become a teacher I have to deduct a research to improve my teaching and/or to "solve" a didactical problem I encounter. This research, my proposal for a solution etc. has to be motivated by scientific literature.

I observed that a lot of students have problems with formulating answers to questions correctly. Especially with conceptual questions often they formulate quite sloppy, but from their answers I often smell (I have a good nose :P ) that they're looking for it in the right direction. So I chose to investigate whether and how I can improve their physical/scientific reasoning. They have to get more acquinted with the "physics language". So my research question more or less is

"How can I improve the scientific reasoning of my students in describing physical concepts"?

The reason for my choice is my conviction that STEM education, and thus physics, improves the skill of reasoning and problem solving in general, and that my ambition to improve their scientific reasoning helps with developing this skill.

I think I want to focus mainly on answering conceptual questions.describing physical concepts, because in answering questions with a "calculational" emphasis they use the familiar steps of "what is given, what is asked, which formula etc". I already found some literature in my own language (Dutch), and I was wondering whether some of you know of international Kodi Lucky Patcher nox literature/research concerning my research question. Also, literature subscribing or critizing my conviction is welcome! If some of you have tried to improve something similarly in STEM education in general, I'm happy to hear about your experiences!

I hope my question is clear, all input is appreciated! All the best :)
So, your difficultly in this class is absolutely normal. The mathematical maturity will come. If you are talented, it will come quickly with sufficient effort. If you are not, it will take more practice, but you will get it. Just keep at it, and don't cut corners. If you are unsure of a physical principle, read a derivation, then try to derive it for yourself later. Above all else, make sure that you learn conceptually. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that memorization can help you. It will never. Keep these ideas in mind, and remember that if the physics is hard, that's ok - it's supposed to be!

adomanim1 said:
So, your difficultly in this class is absolutely normal. The mathematical maturity will come. If you are talented, it will come quickly with sufficient effort. If you are not, it will take more practice, but you will get it. Just keep at it, and don't cut corners. If you are unsure of a physical principle, read a derivation, then try to derive it for yourself later. Above all else, make sure that you learn conceptually. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that memorization can help you. It will never. Keep these ideas in mind, and remember that if the physics is hard, that's ok - it's supposed to be!

I think you are missing something crucial here.

The OP is asking about him, AS A TEACHER, in trying to get his students to think more analytically. This is not a question that a student is asking.

Please note that this is a forum dedicated to Teaching and to Educators, not to students.

Zz.

Learning how to formulate scientific reasoning in physics or "physics language"

When you are not sure yet how next to proceed, run a blank.

What does "run a blank" mean?

Retired for many years I no longer have access to the most current (and paid for) literature on learning, but this treatment of cognitive and knowledge theory, though superficial, may help direct your search. I found gestalt theory a rich source for pedagogical research.

In the modern era information processing theory offers many avenues to communicate knowledge to students and also evaluate learned skills. An holistic approach might include showing selected videos of a laboratory experiment to supplement lecture prior to students performing the experiment in labs. Medical training utilizes simulation in lieu of actual patients with computers able to mimic a wide variety of symptoms.

One example I encountered at NASA involved complex crew factor studies on an advanced concepts flight simulator. Participants in the experiment -- all senior airline pilots -- were wired with a variety of electrodes and sensors then challenged to learn new tasks while in flight. I helped develop a part-task flight simulator running on a workstation that 1) evaluated basic knowledge and skill levels, 2) familiarized subjects with the learning process, while 3) conditioning the pilots to perform with sensors attached before entering the sim. As the experiment progressed the performance of control groups without prior conditioning were compared to the prepared cohort.

Similar methods were adopted at SRI International to evaluate language skills and acquisition using advanced speech technology coupled with machine learning.

What is scientific reasoning in physics?

Scientific reasoning in physics involves using logical thinking and evidence-based methods to understand and explain natural phenomena in the physical world. It involves observing, measuring, and analyzing data to form hypotheses and draw conclusions.

Why is it important to learn how to formulate scientific reasoning in physics?

Learning how to formulate scientific reasoning in physics is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. It also helps us to make accurate predictions and advancements in technologies.

What are the key components of scientific reasoning in physics?

The key components of scientific reasoning in physics include observation, experimentation, data analysis, hypothesis formation, and conclusion drawing. These components work together to form a logical and evidence-based understanding of the physical world.

How can one improve their skills in formulating scientific reasoning in physics?

One can improve their skills in formulating scientific reasoning in physics by practicing critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. It is also important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and theories in physics.

Can scientific reasoning in physics be applied to other fields of study?

Yes, scientific reasoning in physics can be applied to other fields of study such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. The principles of logical thinking and evidence-based methods can be used to understand and explain phenomena in various fields of science.