Learning/Teaching Strategies for PF

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses the importance of using forums like PF as a supplement to learning, rather than relying on them as the sole source of information. It also touches on the role of educators in guiding students towards critical thinking and the potential for a PF Insights post on learning strategies and pedagogical advice for teachers in the context of online forums.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I was inspired by the following passage in this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...lack-during-electrolysis.974800/#post-6208050

Borek said:
If I can suggest something - try to find some introductory text (like High School textbook) and read it. At the moment you have a lot of enthusiasm, but you tend to misuse nomenclature and you fill the gaps in your understanding with guesses. In my experience that's a disaster waiting to happen, sooner or later we will have enough of trying to guess what you really mean and you will think we are purposely not helpful.

I am frequently moved to tell members, "asking strangers on the Internet random questions is a poor learning strategy." @Borek said it much better. But Borek's post is only visible to PF members who read that thread.

In the homework sections we have the rule that helpers must not give the answer, only hints. We also have the guidelines for students and helpers offering advice on how to elicit good answers. But we have nothing similar outside the homework context.

I have several questions for educators:
  1. What are students taught regarding learning strategies using forums like PF? In other words, a modernized form of "study habits."
  2. Can you recommend a article advising students on #1? If not, could we write one as a PF Insights post?
  3. How would you advise teachers (meaning PF member experts who answer questions)? The linear approach is to simply answer the question as stated. A nonlinear approach is to rephrase the question. Borek's quote exemplifies a more radical approach saying in effect "Your approach to learning is faulty."
  4. Could the pedalogical advice to teachers be consolidated in a PF Insights post?

Likes jedishrfu, Greg Bernhardt, Bystander and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
How would you advise teachers (meaning PF member experts who answer questions)? The linear approach is to simply answer the question as stated. A nonlinear approach is to rephrase the question.
That is good. That is expected for generally helping or answering or responding to a question. Not important if on forum or in classroom or group or private tutoring.

As an internet forum user, I can share my thoughts on these questions.

1. Learning strategies for using forums like PF:

From my experience, forums like PF can be a great resource for learning, but it's important to have the right approach. Here are some tips that I would recommend for students:

- Do your research before asking a question: Before asking a question on a forum, it's important to do some basic research on the topic. This will help you understand the concept better and also avoid asking a question that has already been answered before.

- Be clear and concise in your question: When asking a question on a forum, make sure you provide all the necessary information and be as clear and concise as possible. This will help others understand your question and provide a better answer.

- Don't rely on forums as your only source of information: While forums can be a great resource for learning, it's important not to rely on them as your only source of information. Make sure to also consult textbooks, articles, and other reliable sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the topic.

- Use forums to supplement your learning: Instead of using forums as your primary source of information, use them to supplement your learning. This will help you get a better understanding of the topic and also improve your critical thinking skills.

2. Article advising students on learning strategies for forums:

I couldn't find a specific article on learning strategies for using forums, but I think it would be a great idea to write one as a PF Insights post. It could cover topics such as the ones mentioned above, as well as tips on how to effectively engage in discussions on forums.

3. Advice for teachers (PF member experts):

As a teacher, I would advise PF member experts to not just provide the answer, but to also guide students towards finding the answer themselves. This can be done by asking probing questions, providing hints, or redirecting them to relevant resources.

I also think it's important to encourage students to think critically and to not just accept information at face value. This can be done by challenging their assumptions and encouraging them to explore alternative explanations or solutions.

4. PF Insights post on pedagogical advice for teachers:

I think a PF Insights post on pedagogical advice for teachers would be a great idea. It could cover topics such as the importance of promoting critical thinking, effective ways to guide students towards finding the answer, and tips for creating a positive and collaborative learning environment on forums.

1. What is the best way to approach teaching "Learning Strategies for PF"?

The best way to approach teaching "Learning Strategies for PF" is to first understand the specific needs and learning styles of your students. This will help you tailor your teaching strategies to better suit their needs. It is also important to create a positive and engaging learning environment, and to provide opportunities for students to actively participate and practice the strategies being taught.

2. How can I promote critical thinking skills in my students when teaching "Learning Strategies for PF"?

To promote critical thinking skills when teaching "Learning Strategies for PF", it is important to encourage students to ask questions, analyze and evaluate information, and make connections between concepts. You can also incorporate activities and assignments that require students to think critically, such as case studies, debates, or problem-solving tasks.

3. What role do metacognitive strategies play in "Learning Strategies for PF"?

Metacognitive strategies, which involve thinking about one's own thinking, are crucial in "Learning Strategies for PF". These strategies help students become aware of their own learning process and make adjustments to improve their learning. By teaching and encouraging the use of metacognitive strategies, students can become more independent and effective learners.

4. How can I differentiate instruction when teaching "Learning Strategies for PF" to a diverse group of students?

To differentiate instruction when teaching "Learning Strategies for PF", it is important to first assess the individual needs, strengths, and learning styles of your students. Then, you can modify your teaching strategies and provide different levels of support and challenge to meet the needs of each student. This could include using various instructional methods, providing different materials or resources, or offering individualized feedback and guidance.

5. How can I assess the effectiveness of my teaching in "Learning Strategies for PF"?

To assess the effectiveness of your teaching in "Learning Strategies for PF", you can use a variety of methods such as student feedback, observation, and formal assessments. It is important to regularly reflect on your teaching practices and make adjustments based on the feedback and data collected. Additionally, tracking student progress and success can also be a useful indicator of the effectiveness of your teaching strategies.