Leaving Physics MSc: After Physics BSc, What Next?

• Physics
  • Thread starter bokorugro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bsc Physics
In summary, a Physics BSc graduate is disappointed that they can only study Theoretical Physics in their MSc program due to limited options in their country. They are considering leaving the program as they do not plan to work in academia or do theoretical research. They are interested in engineering and business analysis but are unsure if a physics background would be beneficial. They are also concerned about the financial and time commitment of starting another degree. They are considering pursuing a MS in engineering or business, and are looking for information on the required coursework and job prospects in these fields.
bokorugro
First of all, I am sorry if this problem was discussed before, I haven't found it yet.

I have recently finished my Physics BSc, and now I am a Physics MSc student. My BSc was in Applied Physics, but in MSc, due to the small amount of people studying physics in my country, I can only study Theoretical Physics in MSc, which for me is etremely disappointing, since I have no intention in working in academia, or doing any kind of theoretical research. My love for physics are simply not enough for that.

I am thinking more and more about leaving the MSc, because I don't see that it would give me any advantage when I start to work, but I know, that a BSc degree is pretty worthless when it comes to applying for a job anywhere.

I am quite interested in engineering, and even more in business analyisis, but I don't know if these are reasonable aims for someone with a Physics BSc. I don't really want to start with a BSc again, it would take for too long, and another 5 ys (3+2) of studying and I am already 22. I simply can't afford that financially.

Some thoughts on Physicsist leaving for business field?

( one more thing. In my country there are simply too much people studying business-related stuff. Can a Physics background make me a better candidate for certain jobs, or is it a myth, that Pysicist are considered much better employees in business fields? )

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are already with a physics degree...you probably have taken 75% of the classes that an engineer has to take as well as even more advanced math and physics. You would practically already be there

Why don't you try for an MS in engineering or business? If business is a flooded market, maybe engineering would be the better choice. Also, may I ask what country you are in?

Just out of curiosity, what type of undergraduate coursework is usually required to get into a MS engineering program? I'm graduating with a BS in physics, I can't find any info on what schools expect candidates to have taken beforehand...

I understand your dilemma and I want to assure you that leaving your Physics MSc is not the end of your career in science. Many successful scientists have started in one field and ended up in a completely different area. Your Physics BSc has given you a strong foundation in analytical thinking, problem-solving, and critical reasoning, which are highly valued skills in any field. So, while it may seem like a setback, it can actually open up new opportunities for you.

If you are interested in engineering or business analysis, your background in physics can definitely be an advantage. Many companies are looking for individuals with a strong scientific background who can apply their skills to real-world problems and come up with innovative solutions. Your knowledge of physics can also set you apart from other candidates and make you a valuable asset to companies in these fields.

Furthermore, don't underestimate the value of a BSc degree. It may not seem like much compared to a MSc, but it still demonstrates a certain level of expertise and dedication in a specific field. Additionally, many companies value individuals with diverse backgrounds and skills, so your Physics BSc can complement your other interests and make you a well-rounded candidate.

It is a common misconception that physicists are only suited for academia or research. In fact, physicists have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, finance, data analysis, and even consulting. Your skills in problem-solving, data analysis, and critical thinking make you a strong candidate for these roles.

In terms of financial concerns, there are many options for continuing your education without starting from scratch. You could consider a postgraduate diploma or certificate program in engineering or business, which may only take a year or two to complete. You could also look into internships or apprenticeships in these fields to gain hands-on experience and make connections.

In conclusion, leaving your Physics MSc does not mean the end of your career in science. Your background in physics can make you a strong candidate in a variety of fields and your BSc degree is still valuable. It's important to explore your interests and find a career path that aligns with your passions and skills. Don't be afraid to take a different route and remember that your degree in physics has equipped you with valuable skills that can be applied in many industries.

Related to Leaving Physics MSc: After Physics BSc, What Next?

1. What career options are available after completing a Physics MSc?

There are many career options available after completing a Physics MSc, including research scientist, data analyst, engineering consultant, and software developer. You can also pursue further education in fields such as astrophysics, medical physics, or environmental science.

2. Is it necessary to have a Physics background to pursue a career in related fields?

No, a Physics MSc can open up opportunities in many different fields, including finance, economics, and computer science. Employers value the problem-solving, analytical, and technical skills that are developed during a Physics MSc, making it a versatile degree.

3. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a Physics MSc?

A Physics MSc will provide you with a deep understanding of the fundamental principles and theories of physics, as well as advanced mathematical and analytical skills. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills that are highly sought after in many industries.

4. Can I pursue a career in industry with a Physics MSc?

Yes, many industries, such as aerospace, energy, and technology, value individuals with a strong background in physics. Your MSc project or internship experience can also provide practical skills and knowledge that are directly applicable to industry roles.

5. How can I make the most of my Physics MSc to improve my career prospects?

Aside from excelling academically, you can also participate in research projects, internships, and networking events to gain practical experience and build professional connections. Additionally, consider developing skills in programming, data analysis, and project management, which are highly valuable in many fields.