Lebesgue measure vs. box counting dimension

In summary, the Lebesgue measure and the box counting dimension are two different concepts. The Lebesgue measure is a way to determine the size or volume of a set, while the box counting dimension is a way to measure the fractal dimension of a set. However, for a bounded, closed set, the Minkowski measure (also known as the box counting dimension) is equivalent to the Lebesgue measure. This is not the case for unbounded or open sets. It is important to note that measure and dimension are not interchangeable terms and have different meanings in mathematics.
Coin
Short version: What is the difference between the Lebesgue measure and the box counting dimension of a set?

Long version: I was reading up on the definition of the Lebesgue measure, and the description of how to take the Lebesgue measure of a set (which I understood basically as "cover the set with ranges of a certain size, then count the number of ranges in the limit as the size of the ranges goes to zero) sounded exactly like the procedure for taking the set's box counting dimension. Meanwhile I found this cryptic sentence on Mathworld:

The Minkowski measure of a bounded, closed set is the same as its Lebesgue measure

The Minkowski measure is of course the same as the box counting dimension; I'm assuming the Minkowski dimension and the Minkowski measure are the same thing (which I guess leads to another question I should be asking-- what if anything is the difference between measure and dimension?). So is it correct that the Lebesgue measure and the box counting dimension are in fact the same thing for a bounded, closed set? And if so, in what way does this fail to be the case for unbounded or open sets?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with box counting dimension. However, Lebesgue measure is not at all the same as dimension. You can have measure defined for n-dimensional spaces of any dimension or even on more abstract spaces where dimension isn't even defined.

For one dimensional space, the simplest version starts with intervals and define measure as the length of the interval. It is then extended to other sets (sigma field) using countable unions and intersections.

Related to Lebesgue measure vs. box counting dimension

What is Lebesgue measure?

Lebesgue measure is a mathematical concept used in measure theory to assign a numerical value to subsets of n-dimensional Euclidean space. It is a generalization of the concept of length, area, and volume to higher dimensions.

What is box counting dimension?

Box counting dimension is a mathematical concept used to measure the fractal dimension of a set. It involves dividing a set into smaller and smaller boxes and counting the number of boxes needed to cover the set. The dimension is then calculated by taking the logarithm of the number of boxes and dividing it by the logarithm of the size of the boxes.

How are Lebesgue measure and box counting dimension related?

Lebesgue measure and box counting dimension are both methods used to measure the size or dimension of a set. While Lebesgue measure is a continuous measure that assigns a numerical value to a set, box counting dimension is a discrete measure that counts the number of boxes needed to cover a set. Both measures are used in different contexts and have their own strengths and limitations.

What are the main differences between Lebesgue measure and box counting dimension?

The main difference between Lebesgue measure and box counting dimension is that Lebesgue measure is a continuous measure while box counting dimension is a discrete measure. This means that Lebesgue measure can be used for any set, while box counting dimension is more suitable for measuring the dimension of fractal sets. Additionally, Lebesgue measure is a more precise and accurate measure, while box counting dimension is easier to calculate and can provide insights into the self-similarity of a set.

Which measure should be used to measure the size or dimension of a set?

The choice of measure depends on the specific context and the properties of the set being measured. In general, Lebesgue measure is a more versatile and precise measure, while box counting dimension is better suited for measuring the dimension of fractal sets. It is also possible to use both measures together to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the properties of a set.