Why Are Reflected Rays Often Ignored in Lens Studies?

E3Phy
Hi,
I am wondering why reflected rays are not considered with lenses? If a Ray strikes a surface another is reflected off that striking point; however, this is not added when studying lenses, only refracted rays are considered.
Is there any law which gives the ratio of reflected and refracted rays with lenses?

Cheers.

Science news on Phys.org
The reflection is very dim, so isn't really useful and you usually ignore them. If you get into optical engineering you can certainly consider reflections. You generally want to make sure they're absorbed somewhere in the system because they typically annoy the user by giving ghost images - google "lens flare" for the most common example of these.

Likes difalcojr and DaveE
E3Phy said:
I am wondering why reflected rays are not considered with lenses?
Maybe because they aren't always pertinent to the person doing the analysis. If there's a reason to consider them, they can be analyzed.

E3Phy said:
Is there any law which gives the ratio of reflected and refracted rays
Yes. Absolutely. Although it can be quite a chore. Normally you would minimize reflection in a conventional lens, or maximize it for mirror lenses (like most modern telescopes). The other rays are, hopefully, insignificant and don't require detailed analysis. However, there are optical systems where it does matter.

This is all based on the basic classical E&M concept of reflection and transmission coefficients.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

Likes difalcojr and Ibix
Thank you all for your answers; just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything; I'll study the given links further

Likes Ibix
E3Phy said:
why reflected rays are not considered with lenses?
A good optical design would considered a parasite reflections and a scattered light. Most optical soft are intended for optimizing the main light flow passing the optical system, but there are special modes to study secondary reflections and scattering. However it is more difficult level as demanding to have a good models of the coatings and baffles. Good design should at least consider that the parasite reflection should not focus close to the image plane to avoid host images.
The most difficult is the management of the scattered light which demands exact model of lenses, mechanics, baffles, coatings on optical and mechanical surfaces in combination with a different combination of the objects in the object space.

Likes difalcojr and DaveE
E3Phy said:
Thank you all for your answers; just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything; I'll study the given links further
Those reflections are always there and they're the bane of the designer's life. The reflections are from the surfaces (and there may be six in a three element , high quality lens. The surfaces of the lens elements are not just spherical and the secondary images occur all over the place.

Attachments

• 1708444906258.png
    1708444906258.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 14

1. How do lenses work?

Lenses work by refracting light as it passes through them, causing the light rays to converge or diverge. This allows the lens to create an image of an object by bending the light in a specific way.

2. What is the difference between convex and concave lenses?

Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge.

3. Why do objects appear smaller when viewed through a convex lens?

When an object is viewed through a convex lens, the light rays from the object are refracted and converge at a point, creating a smaller image of the object. This is known as magnification.

4. What is the relationship between the focal length and the strength of a lens?

The focal length is the distance from the lens to the point where light rays converge. The strength of a lens is determined by its focal length - a shorter focal length results in a more powerful lens, while a longer focal length results in a weaker lens.

5. Why do we see a reflection in a mirror, but not in a window?

A mirror has a smooth, flat surface that reflects light rays in a predictable way, creating a clear and accurate reflection. A window, on the other hand, has a rougher surface that causes light rays to scatter, making it difficult to see a clear reflection.