Let's build a quantum radio receiver

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using quantum entanglement for communication and its limitations. They also suggest using a different name for the technology in case public understanding of the physics changes. The conversation ends with a humorous response about building a quantum radio sender as an alien.
MisterIX
Homework Statement:: I would like to write a science fiction story on how alien quantum communication could work and how scientist on Earth build the first "radio" receiver, entangling Quantums over big distances randomly.
Relevant Equations:: https://www.chemie.de/news/156198/schnellere-verschraenkung-entfernter-quantenpunkte.html

First question: if I can entangle two quantum dots over 5m by randomly firing laser impulses on them, how does the probability of entanglement for the same setup differ about distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the no-communication theorem first. If that is not fatal to your approach you may want to continue the discussion in the science fiction section.

Likes Twigg
As I understand it, quantum entanglement let's two distant observers agree on an endless list of random numbers, that no one else can see or intercept. But neither side can influence what those numbers actually are. So those numbers are great for encoding and decoding information, but you still need some conventional method of transmitting the encoded data.

I'd recommend not using the word "quantum" to explain your technology. Just call it "zeta link" or some gibberish name. That way when public understanding of the physics changes you don't get stuck trying to explain what "dilithium" is and why it would have some relevance to anti-matter.

Last edited:
@Nugatori Is there really a science fiction section? Pls. post link!

@Algr

As I understand it, quantum entanglement let's two distant observers agree on an endless list of random numbers, that no one else can see or intercept. But neither side can influence what those numbers actually are. So those numbers are great for encoding and decoding information, but you still need some conventional method of transmitting the encoded data.

Admitted, but if you were an alien, how would you build a Quantum radio sender, in broadcast, so that every civilisation Quantum admitted, could build a receiver. Which numbers would you rely on. For the zeta link.

Is there really a science fiction section?

MisterIX said:
@Nugatori Is there really a science fiction section? Pls. post link!
LOL. Look up! I moved your thread to this section on July 11th. :wink:

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
MisterIX said:
Admitted, but if you were an alien, how would you build a Quantum radio sender?

If I was an alien I'd ೠಚಠ ಶಳೆೆೋ ಚೠಎ ುನಱ!

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Algr said:
If I was an alien I'd ೠಚಠ ಶಳೆೆೋ ಚೠಎ ುನಱ!
You really should have put that in a spoiler tag box. Now all the young kids will be trying that!

• Haha
Likes Twigg and Algr

1. What is a quantum radio receiver?

A quantum radio receiver is a device that uses quantum technology to receive and decode radio signals. Unlike traditional radio receivers, which use classical physics principles, quantum radio receivers use quantum principles such as superposition and entanglement to achieve higher sensitivity and accuracy.

2. How does a quantum radio receiver work?

A quantum radio receiver works by using quantum bits, or qubits, to measure and decode radio signals. These qubits are typically trapped ions, superconducting circuits, or other quantum systems that can be manipulated and measured. The receiver then uses quantum algorithms to process the data and extract information from the radio signals.

3. What are the advantages of a quantum radio receiver?

Quantum radio receivers have several advantages over traditional radio receivers. They are more sensitive, allowing them to pick up weaker signals, and they have a wider frequency range, making them useful for a variety of applications. They also have the potential to be more secure, as quantum technology can be used to prevent eavesdropping on radio communications.

4. What are the potential applications of a quantum radio receiver?

Quantum radio receivers have a wide range of potential applications. They can be used for communication and navigation in areas with weak or no traditional radio signals, such as underwater or in space. They can also be used for detecting and monitoring radio signals in sensitive environments, such as in medical imaging or security systems.

5. Is a quantum radio receiver currently available for consumer use?

While quantum radio receivers are still in the early stages of development, there are some prototypes and experimental models currently being tested. However, it may be some time before a quantum radio receiver is available for consumer use, as further research and development is needed to improve their efficiency and reduce their cost.