Level Surfaces & Intersection of a Graph: Exploring $f(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2$

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify? (Wondering)When I describe the level set at the case when $c>0$ is it enough to say that it is a cylinder or do I have to say also something else for example to mention the radius?? (Wondering)When describing the level set at the case when $c>0$, you can say that it is a cylinder.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Draw or describe the level surface and an intersection of the graph for the function $$f: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}, (x, y, z) \rightarrow x^2+y^2$$

I have done the following:

The level surfaces are defined by $$\{(x, y, z) \mid x^2+y^2=c\}$$

- For $c=0$ we have that $x^2+y^2=0$. So for $c=0$, the level set consists of the $z-$axis.
- For $c<0$, the level set is the empty set.

For $c>0$, the level set is the cylinder $x^2+y^2=c$.

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

Could I improve something?? (Wondering)

How can we describe an intersection?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! (Blush)

mathmari said:
Is this correct?? (Wondering)

Yep. (Nod)

Could I improve something?? (Wondering)

Nope. (Shake)

How can we describe an intersection?? (Wondering)

I'm not sure what is intended here. Can you clarify? Or give an example? (Wondering)

As I see it, the cylinder surface is an intersection of the function with the level $c$.
Or perhaps an intersection with a plane is intended, in which case an ellipse will come out (possibly degenerated). (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Nope. (Shake)

When I describe the level set at the case when $c>0$ is it enough to say that it is a cylinder or do I have to say also something else for example to mention the radius?? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
I'm not sure what is intended here. Can you clarify? Or give an example? (Wondering)

As I see it, the cylinder surface is an intersection of the function with the level $c$.
Or perhaps an intersection with a plane is intended, in which case an ellipse will come out (possibly degenerated). (Thinking)

In my book there is the following definition:

The intersection of the graph of $f$ is the intersection of the graph with a vertical plane.

For example, if we have $f(x, y)=x^2+y^2$ we have the following:

If $P_1$ is the plane $xz$ in $\mathbb{R}^3$ that is defined by $y=0$, then the intersection of $f$ is the set $$P_1 \cap \text{ graph } f=\{(x, y, z) \mid y=0, z=x^2\}$$
that is a parabola in the plane $xz$.
Similarily, if $P_2$ is the plane $yz$, that is defined by $x=0$, then the intersection $$P_2 \cap \text{ graph } f=\{(x, y, z) \mid x=0, z=y^2\}$$ is a parabola in the plane $yz$.
So, do we take which vertical plane we want?? (Wondering)

It would be nice to mention the radius.

Isn't your example the same as your problem? (Wondering)

1. What is a level surface?

A level surface is a three-dimensional representation of a function, where all the points on the surface have the same output value. In other words, it is a set of points in space where a specific function has a constant value.

2. How are level surfaces related to intersection of a graph?

The intersection of a graph refers to the points where two or more graphs meet. In the case of a level surface, it is the points where the surface intersects with another surface or a plane. These points represent the solution to the system of equations formed by the two functions.

3. How do you determine the level surfaces of a function?

To determine the level surfaces of a function, you need to set the function equal to a constant value and solve for the variables. This will give you the equation of the level surface. For example, in the function f(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2, the level surfaces would be represented by the equation x^2+y^2 = c, where c is a constant value.

4. What information can you gather from the level surfaces of a function?

The level surfaces of a function can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of the function. For example, they can help identify critical points, extrema, and the shape of the function. They can also be used to visualize the function and understand its relationship with other functions.

5. How can the intersection of a graph be useful in real-life applications?

The intersection of a graph has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, the intersection of two graphs can represent the point where two forces are in equilibrium. In economics, it can represent the point where the supply and demand curves intersect, indicating the market equilibrium. It can also be used to solve optimization problems in various fields.