Lever Balance Displacement Calculation

In summary, the conversation focused on designing a force balance lever system, where a mass is placed on a capacitor plate to maintain equilibrium. The speaker wants to know how to calculate the displacement of another mass as the voltage of the capacitor is increased and the force of attraction, Fatt, is created. They have already figured out how to calculate Faa. Essentially, this is a traditional weighing scales balance and the speaker is seeking an equation to calculate the displacement of the second mass while the balance remains in equilibrium.
jonlg_uk
Hello I am trying to design a force balance lever system. Basically the initial state will in a force balance equilibrium. That is, there will be a mass m placed onto of the capacitor plate to keep the lever balanced. I will then ramp the voltage of the capacitor up, causing a force of attraction, Fatt, creating by the plates attracting one another.

I want to know an equation for finding the distance displacement for the other mass M? How much will its height from the floor vary with increasing force of attraction, Fatt?
caplev.jpg

I thank you all in advance

N.B I have already figured out how to calculate the Faa, so there is no need to worry about that.

Jon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically all this is,is a old fashioned weighing scales balance and I want to know how you calculate the displacement

Related to Lever Balance Displacement Calculation

What is a lever balance displacement calculation?

A lever balance displacement calculation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the displacement or movement of an object placed on one side of a lever when a known weight is placed on the other side of the lever.

How is a lever balance displacement calculation performed?

To perform a lever balance displacement calculation, you will need to know the length of the lever arm, the distance between the object and the pivot point, and the weight placed on the lever. The formula for calculating displacement is displacement = weight x distance / length of lever arm.

What are the applications of lever balance displacement calculation?

Lever balance displacement calculations are commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the movement or displacement of objects in various systems. They are also used in designing and building machines and structures that rely on levers for balance and stability.

What is the importance of understanding lever balance displacement calculation?

Understanding lever balance displacement calculation is crucial in many fields, including engineering, physics, and construction. It allows for the accurate prediction of the movement and stability of objects, which is essential for the safety and efficiency of structures and machines.

Are there any limitations to lever balance displacement calculation?

Yes, there are some limitations to lever balance displacement calculation. This formula assumes that the lever arm is rigid and has a constant cross-sectional area. It also does not take into account any external factors such as friction, elasticity, or air resistance, which may affect the displacement of the object.