Life of an experimental physicist

In summary, an experimental physicist typically works 9-5, 5 days a week, spends a lot of time writing code, runs simulations, and measures something.
Nano-Passion
Whats the work life of an experimental physicist like? Hours? Pay? Activities and duties? etc. etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Useless question. It is much too broad. Because the question is too broad, the associated variance on the answers is going to swamp out their validity.

I know experimentalists who make 30k and ones who make 300K/year. I know experimentalists that work 9-5, 5 days a week. And ones who work 60 hour weeks consistently.

Norman said:
Useless question. It is much too broad. Because the question is too broad, the associated variance on the answers is going to swamp out their validity.

I know experimentalists who make 30k and ones who make 300K/year. I know experimentalists that work 9-5, 5 days a week. And ones who work 60 hour weeks consistently.

300k a year? That sounds a bit stretched. I didn't even realize an experimental physicist can make over 60k?

Please enlighten me on this. =d

The guy did his PhD in astronomy, but he focused on the optics used and how to design optical systems. He now works for a company designing, testing, researching, etc. gun scopes. He loves his job and they pay him really well.

Norman said:
The guy did his PhD in astronomy, but he focused on the optics used and how to design optical systems. He now works for a company designing, testing, researching, etc. gun scopes. He loves his job and they pay him really well.

Interesting. But it seems like an mathematical outlier in the data. I would rather have the average, or something to be reasonably expected to get a sense of what the life of an experimental physicist is like.

I'm not sure how insightful asking for the average of what experimentalists overal make--my guess is it is similar to theoreticians. It is probably more meaningful to think about where you want your career to go: national lab, R1 university, slacs, or industry and then compare mid-career wages.

As for a 'typical' workweek for this experimentalist: Lately I've spent a lot of time writing C++/python code to analyze data, thought long and hard about tricky statistical problems, built and ran monte carlo simulations of physics events and detector simulations, and actually found time to go the lab and measure something.

Nano-Passion said:
Interesting. But it seems like an mathematical outlier in the data.

Dismissing a data point because it doesn't agree with your prejudices is the mark of a poor scientist.

Nano-Passion said:
I would rather have the average

There is no "average". That's what people have been trying to tell you. I don't understand why you ask questions and don't pay any attention to the answers. This is also a mark of a poor scientist.

Sheets said:
I'm not sure how insightful asking for the average of what experimentalists overal make--my guess is it is similar to theoreticians. It is probably more meaningful to think about where you want your career to go: national lab, R1 university, slacs, or industry and then compare mid-career wages.

As for a 'typical' workweek for this experimentalist: Lately I've spent a lot of time writing C++/python code to analyze data, thought long and hard about tricky statistical problems, built and ran monte carlo simulations of physics events and detector simulations, and actually found time to go the lab and measure something.

For bold - Thank you very much. ^.^

Hm, one question, how many hours per week do you find yourself working?

Vanadium 50 said:
Dismissing a data point because it doesn't agree with your prejudices is the mark of a poor scientist.

There is no "average". That's what people have been trying to tell you. I don't understand why you ask questions and don't pay any attention to the answers. This is also a mark of a poor scientist.

I am not dismissing it, in fact I found it interesting. But, I'm looking for the mode .. An estimate of a number that is seen most often. Not looking for an outlier.

And I'm sorry if you feel that I don't pay attention to the answers. But that is not my intention-- and I'm just trying to get some things down straight and attain at least a sort of idea of what an experimental physicist work-life is like.

Related to Life of an experimental physicist

What is an experimental physicist?

An experimental physicist is a scientist who conducts experiments to test and validate theories and hypotheses in the field of physics. They use a combination of observation, measurement, and data analysis to understand and explain physical phenomena.

What does a typical day look like for an experimental physicist?

A typical day for an experimental physicist may involve designing and setting up experiments, collecting and analyzing data, writing reports and papers, and presenting findings to colleagues. They may also spend time reading and researching current literature in their field.

What skills are necessary to become an experimental physicist?

Some essential skills for an experimental physicist include a strong background in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency with laboratory equipment and computer software for data analysis.

What are the career opportunities for experimental physicists?

Experimental physicists can work in a variety of industries and fields, including academia, government research labs, and private companies. They may also specialize in specific areas of physics, such as astrophysics, particle physics, or materials science.

What are some notable achievements of experimental physicists?

Experimental physicists have made numerous significant contributions to our understanding of the physical world, from discovering new particles and forces to developing groundbreaking technologies. Some famous experimental physicists include Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawking.