Light at Absolute Zero: Answers to Your Questions

In summary, electromagnetic radiation does not have a temperature itself, but it can cause objects to increase in temperature. At absolute zero, all objects are at rest and do not emit radiation, but if a light is shined onto them, it will be converted to a small amount of heat.
ravisastry
Hi, I'd like to know how does electromagnetic radiation behave at absolute zero temparature ? pls let me know. Thanks in advance !

Science news on Phys.org
When people talk about the temperature of radiation they mean the temperature of the object that emitted the radiation. There is no meaning to radiation itself having a temp that I know of. Maxwell's equations do not involve temperature

Only objects have temperature - and it's nothing more than a measure of how much vibration energy they have. That's what heat is - just vibration.

If you had a universe full of objects at absolute zero (I think that's what you are describing) all of those objects would be sitting still, unmoving.

If you then shine a light into the universe (You'd have to do it from outside because none of these cold objects have any energy to emit light themselves), the energy of the light would be absorbed by any object it hit, warming it up slightly.

The light (or any other sort of EM radiation) would slowly be converted to a little bit of heat.

Even so, per what AJ said, if you merely shined a light through a region this cold, it would pass through unaffected. What didn't get converted to heat anyway.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. At absolute zero temperature, all molecular motion stops and atoms are in their lowest possible energy state. This means that there is no thermal energy available for the atoms and molecules to emit or absorb electromagnetic radiation. As a result, there is no radiation at absolute zero temperature.

However, it is important to note that absolute zero temperature is a theoretical concept and cannot be reached in reality. At very low temperatures, such as near absolute zero, atoms and molecules may still have some residual thermal energy and can emit and absorb electromagnetic radiation. This is known as blackbody radiation.

In summary, at absolute zero temperature, there is no thermal energy available for the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation. However, at very low temperatures, some residual thermal energy may still allow for the presence of electromagnetic radiation.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries.

Best regards,

Related to Light at Absolute Zero: Answers to Your Questions

What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature at which all molecular motion stops. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

What happens to light at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, all molecular motion stops and atoms are frozen in place. This means that there is no movement of electrons, which are responsible for emitting and absorbing light. Therefore, light cannot exist at absolute zero.

Can light be cooled to absolute zero?

No, it is not possible to cool light to absolute zero. This is because light is made up of massless particles called photons, which do not have a temperature and cannot be cooled or frozen.

Why is it important to study light at absolute zero?

Studying light at absolute zero helps scientists understand the fundamental properties of light and how it behaves in extreme conditions. It also has implications for fields such as quantum mechanics and superconductivity.

What is the relationship between light and temperature?

The relationship between light and temperature is complex. Light is a form of energy, and temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles. At higher temperatures, particles have more kinetic energy and are more likely to emit and absorb light. At absolute zero, there is no molecular motion and therefore no emission or absorption of light.