Light ray simulator? Snell's law/refraction

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a software that can simulate a light ray refracting through a transparent freeform shape. One option suggested was a ray tracing program, which uses a step by step model to track the path of parallel rays. Another option was a chrome extension that specifically simulates ray optics. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of writing your own program, but acknowledged that it may be a challenging task.
Tom Holly
I would like to simulate a light ray hitting and refracting through a transparent freeform shape.

Any advice on software which will do this easily? I want to just draw the shape, point the light at it, and see where the beam goes.

Tom

Science news on Phys.org
You seem to be after a ray tracing program. The light from your light source can be treated as a set of parallel rays and they will all follow different paths through the system, sometimes becoming diffused and sometimes being focussed etc.. There have been many such programs written and they work using a step by step (piecewise linear) model. Ray tracing is used to model all kinds of wave propagation and Wiki discusses the basics.
It wouldn't be too hard to write your own - if you are familiar with programming in almost any language. When I started life as a broadcast engineer, I was involved with a program that traced the progress of radio waves through the ionosphere, for predicting levels of received signals. A piece of cake, these days, for fast computer but a real slog for an old Elliot 803.

Oh look - I just found this!

thanks for the advice. I initially thought about a ray tracer, but it would be overkill.

I found this neat little app which does what I want. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ray-optics-simulation/egamlemiidmmmcccadndbjjihkcfiobh

Tom

1. What is a light ray simulator?

A light ray simulator is a computer program or tool that allows users to visualize and interact with the behavior of light rays in different situations. It uses mathematical equations and principles, such as Snell's law, to accurately simulate the refraction and reflection of light.

2. How does Snell's law relate to light ray simulation?

Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction, is used to calculate the direction and angle of light rays as they pass through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. It is an essential principle in light ray simulation as it helps determine how light rays will behave and interact with different materials.

3. Can a light ray simulator be used to study real-world phenomena?

Yes, a light ray simulator can be used to study and understand various real-world phenomena involving light, such as the refraction of light through a lens, the formation of rainbows, and the splitting of white light into different colors through a prism. It can also be used to simulate the behavior of light in different optical devices, such as microscopes and telescopes.

4. Is a light ray simulator only useful for scientists and researchers?

No, a light ray simulator can be beneficial for anyone interested in understanding how light behaves in different scenarios. It can be used by students to learn about light and optics, by engineers to design and test optical devices, and even by artists to create realistic lighting effects in their work.

5. Are there any limitations to light ray simulators?

While light ray simulators can accurately simulate the behavior of light in most situations, they do have some limitations. They rely on simplified models and assumptions, and therefore, may not always provide a completely accurate representation of real-world phenomena. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation also depends on the quality and accuracy of the input data and equations used.