Light Refraction: Causes & Angle Impact

In summary, the refraction of light is caused by the change in speed of light, as well as the angle at which the light enters the medium. While a quantum field theory answer may be accurate, a simpler explanation can be found through classical models of matter, such as the Huygens-Fresnel principle. Websites like Hyperphysics can provide helpful explanations on this topic.
brian.green
What cause the refraction of light? I read somewhere the change of speed but the angle is also important. But why the light refract to the thicker part of an optical lens?

Science news on Phys.org
Before you treat this question quantum-theoretically, which involves the propagation of photons in matter, i.e., you have to calculate the photon-polarization tensor in finite-temperature quantum field theory, you should look at the classical theory, how the dielectric function (more generally tensor) is evaluated within simple classical models of matter. The final outcome is amazingly close to the quantum treatment.

Likes jim mcnamara
brian.green said:
What cause the refraction of light? I read somewhere the change of speed but the angle is also important.

With the Huygens–Fresnel principle refraction can be explained with the change of the speed of light only.

My guess is you don't really want a quantum field theory answer ?

More an optics of hyperphysics kind of answer ?

Likes brian.green
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This bending occurs due to the change in speed of light as it travels from one medium to another.

2. What causes light refraction?

Light refraction is caused by the change in speed of light as it passes through different mediums. This change in speed is due to the change in density of the medium, which affects the direction of the light rays.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect light refraction?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which light enters a medium, affects the degree of refraction. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the angle of refraction will be. This is known as Snell's Law.

4. Can light be refracted more than once?

Yes, light can be refracted multiple times as it passes through different mediums. Each time the light enters a new medium, it will undergo refraction based on the change in speed and density of that medium.

5. What is the practical application of light refraction?

Light refraction has many practical applications, including in the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, as well as in the creation of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. It is also essential in the study of the properties of different materials and in understanding the behavior of light in various environments.