Light sabers from the movies to the piste

In summary, the International Fencing Federation (FIE) is interested in the growing popularity of lightsaber fencing in France and is considering the possibility of televising it. The FIE's involvement suggests that it won't be long before we see this unique sport on TV, which would be exciting for fans and newcomers alike.
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Well maybe. The International Fencing Federation (FIE) ishttps://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/fencing-body-interested-in-frances-embrace-of-lightsaber/ar-BBTOQ6y?li=BBnba9I progresses. Apparently this sport is popular in France and has caught the attention of the FIE, How long will it be before we see in on TV?

Likes jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how they judge competitions? Like if you touch yourself with the light saber is that a point against you since a light saber cuts anything it touches right?

That's really interesting! I had no idea that lightsaber fencing was gaining traction in France. It's great to see the FIE taking an interest in this unique sport. I'm not sure how long it will take for it to be televised, but I'm sure with the FIE's involvement, it won't be too long. It would be so cool to see lightsaber fencing on TV and to learn more about the rules and techniques. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for updates on this!

1. How do light sabers work?

Light sabers use a fictional energy source called kyber crystals to power a plasma blade. The blade is contained within a magnetic field and can be extended or retracted at will by the user.

2. Are light sabers possible in real life?

As of now, light sabers are not possible in real life. The technology to create a contained plasma blade and a power source small enough to fit in a handle does not currently exist.

3. How hot is a light saber?

The temperature of a light saber's blade can reach up to 27,700 degrees Celsius, which is hotter than the surface of the sun. However, the magnetic field containing the blade prevents it from burning the user's hand.

4. Can light sabers cut through anything?

In the movies, light sabers are shown cutting through almost anything, including metal and other lightsabers. However, in real life, it would depend on the strength and composition of the material. A light saber would likely have difficulty cutting through dense materials like steel.

5. Can light sabers be used as a weapon in fencing or other sports?

There have been attempts to create light saber replicas for use in fencing and other sports, but they are not widely used or recognized as legitimate equipment. Additionally, the safety concerns and regulations surrounding the use of a high-temperature plasma blade make it unlikely to become a mainstream sport weapon.