Light Wave Travel: Explained for You

In summary, a light wave is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It travels at the speed of light and can travel through a vacuum or a medium. The color of light is determined by its wavelength, with longer wavelengths corresponding to red light and shorter wavelengths corresponding to blue light. Light wave can interact with matter through reflection, refraction, and absorption. The speed of light can vary depending on the medium it is traveling through, with factors such as density and temperature affecting its speed.
no idea
In my poor knowledge, wave is created by a disturbance and meanwhile the particle just move upward or downward in a transverse wave . However , light seems a different one . It is move! can anyone explain it for me please?

Science news on Phys.org
no idea said:
In my poor knowledge, wave is created by a disturbance and meanwhile the particle just move upward or downward in a transverse wave . However , light seems a different one . It is move! can anyone explain it for me please?

I must admit, I don't quite understand why you find this unusual. You have heard of sounds from far away sources, haven't you? Sound is a wave, which is caused by the vibration of air (or any medium) molecules. But do you think the same air molecules that were vibrating at the source are the identical ones that eventually hit your ear drums? They are not. The air molecules need not have any average displacement. Yet, sound DOES move from one location to another!

It looks like light isn't that different after all IF we just consider this aspect of it.

Zz.

no idea said:

As ZapperZ said, sound waves are caused by vibration of the air. Even though the air affected by the wave moves only a little, the wave still moves through the air. Light moves in a similar fashion (but not exactly, it does not require vibration of the air and can occur in a vacuum) because it exhibits both properties of particles and waves.

Related to Light Wave Travel: Explained for You

1. What is a light wave?

A light wave is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How does light wave travel?

Light wave travels in a straight line at the speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. It can travel through a vacuum, such as outer space, or through a medium, such as air or water.

3. What determines the color of light?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength. Longer wavelengths correspond to red light, while shorter wavelengths correspond to blue light. The visible spectrum of light includes all the colors of the rainbow.

4. How does light wave interact with matter?

Light wave can interact with matter in three ways: reflection, refraction, and absorption. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, refraction occurs when light bends as it passes through a medium, and absorption occurs when light is absorbed by matter, converting into different forms of energy.

5. How does light wave travel through different mediums?

The speed of light wave can vary depending on the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, light travels at its maximum speed, but in a medium such as air or water, it travels at a slower speed due to interactions with particles in the medium. The speed of light can also be affected by the density and temperature of the medium.