Lightbulb Differences: Investigating Unusual Outcomes

• Thread starter fawk3s
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightbulb
In summary: This is because the filament resistance is low when cold. The resistance of the filament increases as it warms. In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a lightbulb burned out and was replaced, but then stopped burning after some time. The speaker investigates and realizes that the new bulb has a higher voltage and wattage rating than the lamp can handle. They mention using a formula to calculate the maximum current for the lamp and old bulb, and speculate on the possible causes for the failure of the bulb to burn. They also mention examining the bulb and thanking the reader in advance for any insights.
fawk3s
I recently ran into the situation where one of my lamps lightbulb burned out. So I changed the bulb. I left home for a second and when I came back, the bulb wasnt burning anymore. So I started to investigate it.
Turns out the new bulb didnt burn out. Everything seems to be ok with it, but then I noticed the sign on the bulb which said "240V; 500W". So I immediately checked the lamps aswell. That one said "MAX: 230V; 300W".
Calculating by the formula N=UI, we get that the maximum current for the lamp/the old bulb could be approximately 1,3A. For the new bulb it could be about 2,1A.

I haven't bought a new bulb for the lamp yet, but I am interested what actually happened there.
What happened that caused the bulb not to burn anymore, even though it burned at first?
Did the bulb "demand" too much out of the lamp and damaged it somehow?
Or did something happen to the bulb?

I haven't tried the lamp with a new bulb, and I have examined the bulb carefully. It seems to be fine looking outside.

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Science news on Phys.org
The lamp socket could have failed from oxidation or overheating. Contact springs will relax when overheated. Some light fixtures have a "thermal fuse". Different types will temporarily or permanently open if the fixture overheats.

Failure of the fixture was probably not the current directly. Tungsten lamps will draw many times their operating current when voltage is first applied.

What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to investigate unusual outcomes when using different types of lightbulbs.

What are the independent and dependent variables?

The independent variable is the type of lightbulb used, and the dependent variable is the resulting light output.

What is the control group?

The control group is the incandescent lightbulb, as it is the standard type of lightbulb used in most households.

How many trials were conducted for each type of lightbulb?

Five trials were conducted for each type of lightbulb to ensure accurate and consistent results.

What were the unexpected outcomes observed during the experiment?

The unexpected outcomes included the LED lightbulb producing a lower light output than the incandescent lightbulb, and the CFL lightbulb producing a higher light output than both the incandescent and LED lightbulbs.