Lightning strike blew out odd pieces in my house

• Thread starter larrybud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, a thunderstorm in mid April in Michigan caused a number of electronics to go bad, most notably the TV in the bedroom and the canon printer.
larrybud
Last Wednesday we had a thunderstorm in this mid April in Michigan. While I was in my bedroom, a lightning bolt hit QUITE close to my house. Had to be < 100 feet.

Subsequently, I discovered a number of odd pieces of my electronics had gone bad:

1) HDMI port in my Comcast DVR, yet the rest of the device works fine
2) An HDMI splitter went out
3) A wireless WebCam powers up but I can't connected to it anymore (even wired it won't generate an IP address)
4) My router would allow wireless connections and generate IP addresses locally, but wouldn't connect to the WAN from the Comcast Modem.
5) The TV in the bedroom ATSC tuner went out. After a couple of days, I turned the TV back on, and it was able to receive a signal. 2 minutes later, it lost the signal, then about 5 minutes after that the whole display went out. My guess is a bad power supply.

And the weirdest thing of all, a canon printer which was generating an error code for the last 3 months suddenly started working! lol

Curious as to an explanation of the wide variety of devices and specific portions of the devices that burned out. Is this just from an induced surge from a close strike?

Science news on Phys.org
larrybud said:
Subsequently, I discovered a number of odd pieces of my electronics had gone bad:
Curious as to an explanation of the wide variety of devices and specific portions of the devices that burned out. Is this just from an induced surge from a close strike?

The main cause was probability poor or incorrect grounding. I've seen many cases where the cable coax drop or a external communications line was not bonded to the utility ground rod and caused a grounding current loop due to ground potential rise from the difference in voltage between the cable/comm distribution box ground and the house ground.

The induced voltage from that current loop surge severely damaged or fried the semiconductors in the dead devices.

Nice try, Nsaspook, but I'm quite sure that the strike actually opened a dimensional rift and he is now residing in the Twilight Zone.

1. What causes a lightning strike to blow out odd pieces in my house?

Lightning is a high voltage electrical discharge that occurs during a thunderstorm. When it strikes a building, it can travel through electrical wiring and cause damage to appliances and electronics.

2. Can a lightning strike cause a fire in my house?

Yes, a lightning strike can cause a fire in a house if it ignites flammable materials or damages electrical wiring. It is important to have a lightning protection system in place to minimize the risk of fire damage.

3. How can I prevent damage to my house from lightning strikes?

Installing a lightning protection system can greatly reduce the risk of damage to your house from lightning strikes. It includes a network of conductors and grounding rods that direct the electrical current away from the house and into the ground.

4. Are there any warning signs that my house has been damaged by a lightning strike?

Some common signs of damage from a lightning strike include blown fuses, tripped circuit breakers, and burnt or melted electrical outlets. If you suspect your house has been struck by lightning, it is important to have a professional electrician inspect for damage.

5. Can a lightning strike affect the structural integrity of my house?

Yes, a lightning strike can damage the structural integrity of a house if it hits a load-bearing wall or a critical structural component. It is important to have a professional contractor inspect for any structural damage after a lightning strike.