Limit of a function raised to a fractional power

In summary, the conversation is about a statement regarding limits of a power. The conditions for the limit to exist are discussed, including the cases when the limit is greater than 0 and when it is not equal to 0. The conversation also touches on the possible values that the expression can take when a < 0 and the power has an even or odd exponent. The conversation ends with the mention of a book on calculus where this topic is addressed.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
T'm in front of a statement about limits of a power, and the conditions are not comprehensive by me
Hi, PF
This is the quote:
"If ##m## is an integer and ##n## is a positive integer, then
6. Limit of a power:
## \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{a}}{\left[f(x)\right]^{m/n}} ## whenever ##L>0## if ##n## is even, and ##L\neq{0}## if ##m<0##"
What do I understand?
-whenever ##L>0## if ##n## is even: ##m## could be a negative integer, so I could write ##L^{-m/n}=\dfrac{1}{L^{m/n}}##. Right?
-and ##L\neq{0}## if ##m<0##: so I could write: ##-L^{-m/n}=-\dfrac{1}{L^{m/n}}##
I'm I right?I'm not native, excuse the language mistakes

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
Summary:: T'm in front of a statement about limits of a power, and the conditions are not comprehensive by me

Hi, PF
This is the quote:
"If ##m## is an integer and ##n## is a positive integer, then
6. Limit of a power:
## \lim_{x \to{a}}\left[f(x)\right]^{m/n} ## whenever L>0 if n is even, and ##L\neq{0}## if m<0"
Is the above the complete quote? Is L the limit? It looks like you have omitted something in what you wrote.

I'm guessing that a more complete statement would be something like this:
If ## \lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L##, then ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x)^{m/n} = L^{m/n} ## whenever ##L>0## if n is even, and ##L\neq{0}## if m<0
mcastillo356 said:
What do I understand?
-whenever ##L>0## if ##n## is even: ##m## could be a negative integer, so I could write ##L^{-m/n}=\dfrac{1}{L^{m/n}}##. Right?
-and ##L\neq{0}## if ##m<0##: so I could write: ##-L^{-m/n}=-\dfrac{1}{L^{m/n}}##
I'm I right?I'm not native, excuse the language mistakes
It's probably simpler to get an understanding of the possible values that ##a^{m/n}## can take when a < 0, and whether n is even or odd. I think this might be what you're confused on, and the whole business of limits and functions is really extraneous to what you're confused about.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2 and mcastillo356
Mark44 said:
Is the above the complete quote? Is L the limit? It looks like you have omitted something in what you wrote.

I'm guessing that a more complete statement would be something like this:
If ## \lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L##, then ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x)^{m/n} = L^{m/n} ## whenever ##L>0## if n is even, and ##L\neq{0}## if m<0
That's it. Thanks!

Mark44 said:
It's probably simpler to get an understanding of the possible values that ##a^{m/n}## can take when a < 0, and whether n is even or odd. I think this might be what you're confused on, and the whole business of limits and functions is really extraneous to what you're confused about.

I've just started the first chapter, that tries to introduce the concept of limits. It's "Calculus", by Robert A. Adams. I will continue reading. Let's see where does it start talking about the issue of limits.

Likes Delta2

What is the definition of a limit of a function raised to a fractional power?

The limit of a function raised to a fractional power is the value that the function approaches as the input (x) approaches a specific value, known as the limit point. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x)^p as x approaches a, where p is a fractional power.

How is the limit of a function raised to a fractional power calculated?

The limit of a function raised to a fractional power can be calculated by evaluating the function at the limit point and simplifying the resulting expression. If the resulting expression is undefined, other methods such as L'Hôpital's rule or substitution can be used to calculate the limit.

What are the common types of fractional powers seen in limits of functions?

The most common types of fractional powers seen in limits of functions are square roots (1/2 power), cube roots (1/3 power), and rational powers (m/n power), where m and n are integers. Other fractional powers such as 1/4, 1/5, etc. can also appear in limits.

How do you determine if a limit of a function raised to a fractional power exists?

A limit of a function raised to a fractional power exists if the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit are equal at the limit point. This means that the function approaches the same value from both sides of the limit point, indicating a well-defined limit.

What are some real-world applications of limits of functions raised to fractional powers?

Limits of functions raised to fractional powers are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They are used to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.