Limit of a product with bounded function

In summary: where the last step holds, since ##f(x)## is bounded and therefore ##|f(x)|## is bounded and therefore ##|f(x)|\cdot g(x)## is bounded and tends to zero, when ##x## tends to ##c##, since ##g## is bounded.
Austin Chang
Q's Let f,g ℝ→ℝ. Suppose that g is bounded. This means that its image is bounded or in other words there exists a positive real number B s.t. |g(x)| ≤ B ∀ x. Prove that if lim x→c f(x) = 0, then lim x→c f(x)g(x) = 0.
Work.
See the picture.
I am really confused I can't seem to understand the idea or the concept behind this. Can anyone explain in terms of like actual terms for example f(x) = x and g(x)= 1/(1+x^2) and parse through the idea with me? I kind of understand it but what is really messing me up is the min{,} I really need to understand that idea and that will really help me understand the idea as a whole.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see your image very well and don't want to spend more time to make it readable than it took you to type it in here.

The basic idea is, that when ##f(x)## tends to zero, then ##g(x)## being bounded cannot outperform ##f(x)##.
Look at an example in which it is not the case:
If ##f(x)=x## then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = 0## and ##g(x) := x^{-2}## lead to ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x)g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x^{-1} = \infty##. Here ##g## outperforms the limitation given by ##f##.

However, if ##g## is bounded, i.e. ##-B \leq g(x) \leq B##, then ##-B\cdot |f(x)| \leq |f(x)| \leq B\cdot |f(x)|##. Now take the limit ##x \rightarrow c## of these inequations.

fresh_42 said:
I cannot see your image very well and don't want to spend more time to make it readable than it took you to type it in here.

The basic idea is, that when ##f(x)## tends to zero, then ##g(x)## being bounded cannot outperform ##f(x)##.
Look at an example in which it is not the case:
If ##f(x)=x## then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = 0## and ##g(x) := x^{-2}## lead to ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x)g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x^{-1} = \infty##. Here ##g## outperforms the limitation given by ##f##.

However, if ##g## is bounded, i.e. ##-B \leq g(x) \leq B##, then ##-B\cdot |f(x)| \leq |f(x)| \leq B\cdot |f(x)|##. Now take the limit ##x \rightarrow c## of these inequations.
how about if B < 1?

Austin Chang said:
how about if B < 1?
How would this affect ##\lim_{x \rightarrow c} (-B\cdot |f(x)|) \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow c} |f(x)| \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow c}(B\cdot |f(x)|)\;##, then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow c} |f(x)g(x)|\; ## and at last ##\lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)g(x)\; ##?

Would it not cause
limx→c(B⋅|f(x)|) to be less than limx→c|f(x)|

Oh sorry, I've made a typing error and repeated it without looking at it again.
It should have been
$$-B \leq g(x) \leq B$$
$$\Rightarrow -B\cdot |f(x)| \leq |f(x)|\cdot g(x) \leq B\cdot |f(x)|$$
$$\Rightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow c} (|f(x)|\cdot g(x)) = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow c} |f(x)\cdot g(x)| = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow c} (f(x)\cdot g(x)) = 0$$

1. What is the Delta Epsilon Limit Problem?

The Delta Epsilon Limit Problem is a mathematical concept used in calculus to define the limit of a function. It involves finding a value (epsilon) that can be used to determine the distance between the output of a function (f(x)) and its limit (L) as the input (x) approaches a specific value (a).

2. Why is the Delta Epsilon Limit Problem important?

The Delta Epsilon Limit Problem is important because it allows us to formally define and calculate limits, which are essential in understanding the behavior of functions and solving complex mathematical problems. It also forms the basis for many other important concepts in calculus, such as continuity and differentiability.

3. How is the Delta Epsilon Limit Problem solved?

The Delta Epsilon Limit Problem is solved by first choosing a value for epsilon and then finding a corresponding value for delta that satisfies the definition of a limit. This involves manipulating the function and setting limits on the possible values of delta until the desired result is achieved.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the Delta Epsilon Limit Problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the Delta Epsilon Limit Problem include incorrectly identifying the value of epsilon, failing to consider all possible values of delta, and not properly understanding the definition of a limit. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to check for any potential errors in calculations.

5. How is the Delta Epsilon Limit Problem used in real-world applications?

The Delta Epsilon Limit Problem has numerous real-world applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze various systems and phenomena, such as the velocity of an object, population growth, and interest rates. It is also used in optimization problems and in computer algorithms that require precise calculations of limits.