Limit of Trigonometric Function....1

In summary: There is a certain level of prerequisite knowledge, skill and understanding that is expected of a person who is studying calculus. What I said is obvious IS obvious to anyone who has that prerequisite knowledge, skill and understanding. If it's not, then the poster needs to work harder to reach that level, rather than making...
nycmathdad
Find the limit of cot (x) as x tends to pi from the left side.

Seeking a hint or two. Does the graph of the given function help in terms of finding the limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 1.5.37.
Odd numbered.
Look up the answer.

No. I want to learn how to get the answer. Anyone can look in the back of the book.

Beer soaked ramblings follow.
nycmathdad said:

Seeking a hint or two. Does the graph of the given function help in terms of finding the limit?
Of course it does.
Now if you actually read section 1.5, then this should be a piece of cake for you. You should go back and actually read it instead of insisting that "2. I don't have time to read the textbook lessons. I usually make use of the chapter outline as my guide. For example, Section 1.5 is all about Limits at Infinity. I then search You Tube for Limits at Infinity video lessons. I take notes on everything said in the video lesson. I work out all sample questions with the video instructor. Is this a good way to learn the material?"

Anyone can read a book.
But you don't apparently.

nycmathdad said:

Yes, from looking at the graph, the answer should be obvious...

Prove It said:
Yes, from looking at the graph, the answer should be obvious...

Obvious to you but not to others learning this for the first time.

nycmathdad said:
Obvious to you but not to others learning this for the first time.

It is obvious for anyone who can look at a graph. Are you seriously saying you can't look at the graph and see what happens near $x = \pi$?

Prove It said:
It is obvious for anyone who can look at a graph. Are you seriously saying you can't look at the graph and see what happens near $x = \pi$?

Yes, I probably can but think about the arrogance in your reply. Come down to Earth a little bit. I am not a classroom student. My student days ended in 1993. Learning on my own is fun but definitely not easy, especially when someone is constantly criticizing every thread.

I am not meaning to sound arrogant, you don't seem to understand what I mean. When I say something is obvious, it's only because it is obvious. Have you actually had a look at the graph?

Realise that people come here to help voluntarily, the least you could do is to take our advice.

nycmathdad said:
Yes, I probably can but think about the arrogance in your reply. Come down to Earth a little bit. I am not a classroom student.
There you go again with your paranoia.
You really should take your medications. The arrogance is all in your paranoid mind. A volunteer helper gives you good advice and you snap at him like rabid dog.
nycmathdad said:
My student days ended in 1993. Learning on my own is fun but definitely not easy, especially when someone is constantly criticizing every thread.
Translation: I like mentioning that "My student days ended in 1993." as an argument opener to shut members into giving me a break. I like to argue needlessly a lot.

Prove It said:
I am not meaning to sound arrogant, you don't seem to understand what I mean. When I say something is obvious, it's only because it is obvious. Have you actually had a look at the graph?

Realise that people come here to help voluntarily, the least you could do is to take our advice.

I know what it means to volunteer. I also volunteer my time to help students with math in grades 1 to 8 in other forums. I use this forum to help me with upper level math courses.

Prove It said:

Don't you think that "obvious" is "in the eye of the beholder"? What is obvious to one person might be incomprehensible to another.

Country Boy said:
Don't you think that "obvious" is "in the eye of the beholder"? What is obvious to one person might be incomprehensible to another.

There is a certain level of prerequisite knowledge, skill and understanding that is expected of a person who is studying calculus. What I said is obvious IS obvious to anyone who has that prerequisite knowledge, skill and understanding. If it's not, then the poster needs to work harder to reach that level, rather than making excuses.

Beer soaked recall follows.
Prove It said:
There is a certain level of prerequisite knowledge, skill and understanding that is expected of a person who is studying calculus. What I said is obvious IS obvious to anyone who has that prerequisite knowledge, skill and understanding. If it's not, then the poster needs to work harder to reach that level, rather than making excuses.
He's very good at that.
You may remember him 6 years ago as nycmath when he was just allegedly 50 at the time at
https://mathhelpforum.com/threads/calculus-tutor.233759/https://mathhelpforum.com/threads/derivative-of-a-constant-is-zero.233754/where he often posted Precalculus and questions that he likes to have a discussion on even when he could easily Google it himself. I thought at the time that he was just starting out then but he recently confessed that he's been reviewing Precalculus since 2006. Dan (Topsquark) has banned him 6 times already. He's been banned here about 2 or 3 times already. He even has this comical behavior of posing as one guy asking Precalculus stuff and another guy asking Calculus stuff. When accused of being the same person here and at Dan's site, he would usually protest "loudly" that it's not true.
It was quite amusing.

jonah said:
Beer soaked recall follows.

He's very good at that.
You may remember him 6 years ago as nycmath when he was just allegedly 50 at the time.
So just a kid!

Prove It said:

I am learning Calculus on my own. No sympathy in your arena, I see.

nycmathdad said:
I am learning Calculus on my own. No sympathy in your arena, I see.
If you want sympathy, I suggest that you start meeting your helpers halfway by simply reaching your book. Is reading your book really that hard? Or do you have more excuses?

What is the definition of the limit of a trigonometric function?

The limit of a trigonometric function is the value that the function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x) or lim sin x for a trigonometric function.

How do you find the limit of a trigonometric function?

To find the limit of a trigonometric function, you can use algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and the properties of limits. You can also use a graphing calculator or a table of values to estimate the limit.

What are the common trigonometric limits?

The common trigonometric limits are: lim sin x = 0, lim cos x = 1, lim tan x = 0, lim cot x = 1, lim sec x = 1, and lim csc x = 0. These limits hold true as long as the input approaches 0, or as the input approaches a multiple of π for tangent and cotangent functions.

Can the limit of a trigonometric function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a trigonometric function can be undefined. This can happen when the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of the input, or when the function has a vertical asymptote at that input.

How are limits of trigonometric functions used in real life?

Limits of trigonometric functions are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and navigation. They are also used in the study of oscillatory systems, such as sound and light waves. In real life, limits of trigonometric functions help us understand the behavior of natural phenomena and make accurate predictions and calculations.