Limit with a lot of square roots

In summary, a problem involving a limit was presented and the conversation discussed using the conjugate of the denominator and l'Hopital's rule to solve it. An alternative method using approximations was also mentioned. The final solution was found to be $\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}$.
Ragnarok7
I have the following problem:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 4}\frac{\sqrt{2x+1}-3}{\sqrt{x-2}-\sqrt{2}}\)

If I multiply by the conjugate of the denominator I get

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 4}\frac{\sqrt{(2x+1)(x-2)}+\sqrt{2(2x+1)}-3\sqrt{x-2}-3\sqrt{2}}{x-4}\)

but am not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:
I have the following problem:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 4}\frac{\sqrt{2x+1}-3}{\sqrt{x-2}-\sqrt{2}}\)

If I multiply by the conjugate of the denominator I get

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 4}\frac{\sqrt{(2x+1)(x-2)}+\sqrt{2(2x+1)}-3\sqrt{x-2}-3\sqrt{2}}{x-4}\)

but am not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Thank you!

In this case l'Hopital rule leads to the solution...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 4}\frac{\sqrt{2\ x + 1} - 3}{\sqrt{x-2} - \sqrt{2}} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 4} \frac{2\ \sqrt{x-2}}{\sqrt{2\ x + 1}} = \frac{2\ \sqrt{2}}{3}$

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you! Is it possible to solve this without L'Hospital's rule? The text I'm using hasn't introduced that in the section I got the problem from.

Ragnarok said:
Thank you! Is it possible to solve this without L'Hospital's rule? The text I'm using hasn't introduced that in the section I got the problem from.

All right!... an alternative is possible taking into account that 'for small t' is $\displaystyle \sqrt {1 + t} \sim 1 +\frac{t}{2}$ ...

Setting $x = 4 - \xi$ is ...

$\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2\ x +1}-3}{\sqrt{x-2}- \sqrt{2}}= \frac{\sqrt {9 -2\ \xi } - 3} {\sqrt{2 - \xi} - \sqrt{2}} \sim \frac{3}{\sqrt{2}}\ \frac{4}{9} = \frac{2\ \sqrt{2}}{3}\ (1)$

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Hello, Ragnarok!

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 4}\frac{\sqrt{2x+1}-3}{\sqrt{x-2}-\sqrt{2}}\)

Rationalize the denominator and the numerator.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2x+1} - 3}{\sqrt{x-2} - \sqrt{2}}\cdot\frac{\sqrt{x-2} + \sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{x-2} + \sqrt{2}} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2x+1}+3}{\sqrt{2x+1}+3} [/tex]

[tex]\quad =\; \frac{\big([2x+1] - 9\big)(
\sqrt{x-2} + \sqrt{2})}{\big([x-2]-2\big)(\sqrt{2x+1} + 3)} [/tex]

[tex]\quad =\; \frac{(2x-8)(\sqrt{x-2} + \sqrt{2})}{(x-4)(\sqrt{2x+1} + 3)} [/tex]

[tex]\quad =\; \frac{2(x-4)(\sqrt{x-2} + \sqrt{2})}{(x-4)(\sqrt{2x+1} + 3)} [/tex]

[tex]\quad =\; \frac{2(\sqrt{x-2} + \sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{2x+1} + 3} [/tex][tex]\lim_{x\to4} \frac{2(\sqrt{x-2} + \sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{2x+1} + 3} \;=\;\frac{2(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{9} + 3}[/tex]

. . . . . [tex]=\;\frac{2(2\sqrt{2})}{6} \;=\;\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]

Thank you so much! I wouldn't have thought to do it like this.

Related to Limit with a lot of square roots

1. What is meant by "limit with a lot of square roots"?

The term "limit with a lot of square roots" refers to a mathematical concept in which the limit of a function is taken as the input approaches a certain value, and the function contains multiple square root operations within it.

2. How is the limit with a lot of square roots evaluated?

The evaluation of a limit with a lot of square roots involves simplifying the function to eliminate any potential discontinuities or undefined values, and then applying algebraic techniques or the L'Hospital's rule to find the limit.

3. What are some common examples of limits with a lot of square roots?

Some common examples of limits with a lot of square roots include the limit of √(x²+4x+4) as x approaches -2, or the limit of √(x-2)/(x²-4) as x approaches 2.

4. Are there any special considerations when evaluating a limit with a lot of square roots?

Yes, it is important to consider the domain of the function and any potential restrictions on the input values. It is also important to simplify the function as much as possible before evaluating the limit.

5. What are the applications of limits with a lot of square roots in science?

Limits with a lot of square roots are commonly used in physics and engineering to model real-world phenomena, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the behavior of electrical circuits. They also have applications in economics, biology, and other fields.