Limiting the effects of a pivot point? Homemade project

In summary, the speaker developed an arm brace to transfer the weight of a dumbbell from their wrist to their forearm after a wrist injury. However, there is a flaw in the design that puts too much pressure on one area of their forearm, making lifting dumbbells painful. They have uploaded pictures asking for tips to improve the design, and someone suggests using Hauling Hooks and an arm sleeve to reduce strain on the wrist.
Rick Deckard
After a wrist injury I had to stop lifting weights. This was annoying so I decided to make an arm brace that would transfer the weight of a dumbbell through my forearm rather than through my hand and wrist (with the help from my local metal works). I've now got the brace and its perfect, aside from one flaw. One point on the brace acts as a pivot point concentrating the pressure in one area of my forearm. This makes lifting dumbbells very painful!
I've uploaded pictures detailing the issue with the help of some annotations and very sophisticated arrows (lol).
I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to throw a couple tips my way that might help me get past this point? Thanks a lot for any help, its very appreciated. I'll be online all of this evening to reply and work through any suggestions you have.

Attachments

• Picture 1 (small).png
    Picture 1 (small).png
    60.6 KB · Views: 668
  • Picture 2 (small).png
    Picture 2 (small).png
    67.2 KB · Views: 635
  • Picture 3 (small).png
    Picture 3 (small).png
    64.5 KB · Views: 601
  • Picture 4 (small).png
    Picture 4 (small).png
    70.7 KB · Views: 655
  • Picture 5 (small).png
    Picture 5 (small).png
    66.8 KB · Views: 639
  • Picture 6 (small).png
    Picture 6 (small).png
    63.7 KB · Views: 678
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why don't you put the dumbbell above the center of the metal construction?

Ouch! That even looks painful. I take it the idea is to transfer the weight from your wrist to your forearm. That’s a good idea but as you say, with that apparatus the weight is transferred to one (painful) point.
Have you considered using these Hauling Hooks? They work pretty well for reducing strain on your grip and if attached high enough on your forearm, should take some strain off your wrist.
You may want to use them together with an arm sleeve as well.

Haulin-Hooks-On-Barbell.jpg

41DDGCpGZvL._SY355_.jpg

1. How can I determine the optimal placement of a pivot point in my homemade project?

The optimal placement of a pivot point depends on the specific design and purpose of your homemade project. Generally, it is recommended to place the pivot point at the center of gravity of your project, as this will allow for the most stable and balanced movement. However, you may need to adjust the placement based on the weight distribution and desired movement of your project.

2. What materials are best for creating a pivot point in a homemade project?

The best materials for creating a pivot point will depend on the size and weight of your project, as well as the desired movement. Some commonly used materials include metal bolts, screws, and bearings. It is important to use materials that are strong and durable enough to withstand the weight and movement of your project.

3. How can I reduce friction at a pivot point in my homemade project?

Friction at a pivot point can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, on the moving parts. You can also use materials with low friction, such as Teflon or nylon, for the pivot point to reduce friction. Proper maintenance and cleaning of the pivot point can also help reduce friction over time.

4. How can I strengthen a pivot point in my homemade project?

To strengthen a pivot point, you can use reinforcing materials, such as metal plates or brackets, to support the weight and movement of the project. It is also important to use strong and durable materials for the pivot point itself and to ensure that it is securely attached to the rest of the project.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a pivot point in a homemade project?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a pivot point include using weak or inadequate materials, not properly balancing the weight distribution of the project, and not regularly maintaining and lubricating the pivot point. It is also important to carefully consider the placement and design of the pivot point to ensure optimal movement and stability.