Limiting the placement of covering rectangle with smaller rectangles algorithm?

In summary, the conversation is about finding an algorithm for covering a rectangle with smaller rectangles, while being able to exclude certain center points for the smaller rectangles. This would require balancing the number of rectangles used and the spacing between them. The problem can be optimally solved by placing a fixed size rectangle at every allowed point, but there may be a more efficient solution. There is also a discussion about the difference between coverage areas and box packing algorithms, and the possibility of using similar rectangles with a specific ratio to solve the problem. The addition of restricted areas may affect the optimal spacing.
the_anomaly
I'm looking for a 'covering rectangle with smaller rectangles' algorithm with the unique feature of being able to exclude some possible center points of rectangles. Basically, limiting the possible areas the smaller rectangles can be placed, while still having the algorithm try to solve for filling up the entire big rectangle with smaller rectangles (of a fixed size). Obviously this will sometimes result in the algorithm not succeeding, no possible solutions.

Has anyone seen anything like this or know how it would be developed?

somethings to keep in mind: 1. This problem can be optimally solved by simply placing the fixed size rectangle at every point that is allowed. This of course is too many rectangles, and I'm trying to accomplish this with the minimum amount of rectangles possible. the minimum amount can usually be determined by dividing the area of the big rectangle by the area of the smaller rectangle.

Example: a big rectangle with an area of 200. small rectangle with an area of 5. The smallest possible amount of rectangles to cover the area inside the big rectangle is 40 (200/5=40). If you limit the places you can put the rectangles, this number might grow, and the spacing might become uneven. I'm essentially asking for a way to solve this problem.

2.Coverage areas are not boxes, packing algorithms are not covering algorithms. coverage areas can overlap. box packing algorithms don't overlap.

Physics news on Phys.org
are you using similar rectangles little to big ratio? This would solve a lot.

you mean if i have a big rectangle that is 60 length, 30 width, then i would use 60% length, 30% width for smaller rectangles? yes, but I wonder if adding areas that you can't put centerpoints of rectangles will divide the room into more rectangles and change this 'optimum' spacing?

1. What is the "limiting the placement of covering rectangle with smaller rectangles" algorithm?

The "limiting the placement of covering rectangle with smaller rectangles" algorithm is a computational method used to find the most efficient way to cover a larger rectangle with smaller rectangles, while minimizing wasted space and maximizing coverage.

2. How does the algorithm work?

The algorithm works by dividing the larger rectangle into smaller sections and then placing smaller rectangles within those sections. The placement is done in a systematic way, using mathematical calculations to determine the most efficient positioning of the smaller rectangles.

3. What is the purpose of this algorithm?

The purpose of this algorithm is to solve real-world problems, such as optimizing packaging or finding the most efficient way to use space in a room. It can also be used in computer graphics to create efficient layouts for images or text.

4. Are there any limitations to this algorithm?

Like any algorithm, there are limitations to its effectiveness. It may not always find the absolute most efficient solution, and it may not be practical for certain complex shapes or arrangements. It also relies on accurate input data and may produce inaccurate results if the data is incorrect.

5. How is this algorithm used in research and industry?

This algorithm is used in various fields such as computer science, mathematics, engineering, and logistics. It has practical applications in optimizing resource allocation, cutting material waste, and improving efficiency in manufacturing and distribution processes.