Limits and infinite oscillations

In summary, the concept of a limit not existing for functions like sin(1/x) when x approaches 0 is due to the function oscillating between different values as x gets closer to 0. This can be seen by looking at the graph of sin(x) and observing that it does not settle on a specific value as x approaches infinity. Additionally, by considering specific sequences that approach 0, it can be shown that the limit cannot exist.
pamparana
Hello everyone,

I am having trouble understanding the concept of a limit not existing for functions like sin (1/x) when x tends to 0. The good book says that the function "does not settle on any value as we get closer to x" implying some infinite oscillation. I am having trouble visualizing it and why it should happen with this particular function.

Any kind soul here willing to elaborate on this and help me understand this better? I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks,

Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about sin(x) as x goes to infinity. Do you know what the graph of sin(x) looks like? Does it settle down to any particular value as x goes to infinity?

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. The sine graph is oscillating between -1 and 1 every with a period of 2 pi. How would this change into infinite oscillations for sin(x) as x approaches infinity...

Thanks,

Luca

Ok, I think I understand this better now as we approach infinity, the value will keep oscillating between -1 and 1 and there is no one value where the function will settle down to...fair enough :)

Thanks,

Luca

You said it yourself. It oscillates between 0 and 1. Just draw the graph of sin. As you go further and further in the positive direction of the x axis, does it settle down to some value? No, it keeps oscillating between 1 and 0.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. I meant to say oscillating between 1 and -1.

Last edited:
Another way to look at it:

[itex]sin(n\pi)= 0[/itex] for all n. Let [itex]x_n= 1/(n\pi)[/itex]. Then as n goes to infinity, [itex]x_n[/itex] goes to 0 and [itex]sin(1/x_n)= 0[/itex] for all n.

But [itex]sin(2n\pi+ \pi/2)= 1[/itex] for all n. Let [itex]x_n= 1/(2n\pi+ \pi/2)[/itex]. Then as n goes to infinity, [itex]x_n[/itex] goes to [itex]sin(1/x_n)= 1[/itex] for all n.

If [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} sin(1/x)[/itex] existed, the limit of [itex]sin(x_n)[/itex] would have to be that value for any sequence [itex]x_n[/itex] converging to 0. Since the two sequences above have different limits, the limit of the function cannot exist.

Related to Limits and infinite oscillations

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point or in the case of infinite oscillations, at infinity.

2. How do you calculate limits?

Limits can be calculated using various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, and algebraic manipulation. In some cases, special limit rules such as the limit of a sum, difference, product, or quotient can be applied. If these techniques do not work, advanced methods such as L'Hôpital's rule or Taylor series expansion may be used.

3. What are infinite oscillations?

Infinite oscillations refer to a pattern of behavior in which the values of a function or sequence alternate between two or more values infinitely as the input or index approaches a certain value, typically infinity. This can happen when there is an asymptote or discontinuity in the function at that point.

4. How do you identify infinite oscillations?

Infinite oscillations can be identified by graphing the function or sequence and observing any repeated patterns or alternating behavior as the input or index approaches infinity. They can also be identified by analyzing the limit at infinity, which may not exist or may approach different values from different directions.

5. How are limits and infinite oscillations used in real-world applications?

Limits and infinite oscillations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze continuous or discrete systems. They are particularly useful in studying physical phenomena that involve infinite processes, such as the motion of waves, the behavior of large populations, and the dynamics of complex systems.