Limits of Functions .... B&S Theorem 4.2.9 .... ....

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the proof of Theorem 4.2.9 in "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Bartle and Sherbert. The discussion focuses on a specific part of the proof which states that if x belongs to A intersection V delta of c and x is not equal to c, then f of x is greater than half of L, which is greater than 0. The conversation concludes with Euge providing an explanation for why this statement is true.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) b Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 4: Limits ...

I need help in fully understanding an aspect of the proof of Theorem 4.2.9 ...Theorem 4.2.9 ... ... reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7257In the above text from Bartle and Sherbert we read the following:"... ... Therefore (why?) it follows that if \(\displaystyle x \in A \cap V_{ \delta } (c), x \neq c\), then \(\displaystyle f(x) \gt \frac{1}{2} L \gt 0\). ... ... Can someone please explain why/how it is true that if \(\displaystyle x \in A \cap V_{ \delta } (c), x \neq c\), then \(\displaystyle f(x) \gt \frac{1}{2} L \gt 0\)?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it $V_\delta(c)$ is the open interval $(c - \delta, c + \delta)$. In that case, if $x\in A\cap V_\delta(c)$ and $x\neq c$, then $x\in A$ and $0 < |x - c| < \delta$. Thus $|f(x) - L| < (1/2)L$, or $-(1/2)L < f(x) - L < (1/2)L$. In particular, $f(x) - L > -(1/2)L$, so $f(x) > L - (1/2)L = (1/2)L > 0$, as desired.

Euge said:
I take it $V_\delta(c)$ is the open interval $(c - \delta, c + \delta)$. In that case, if $x\in A\cap V_\delta(c)$ and $x\neq c$, then $x\in A$ and $0 < |x - c| < \delta$. Thus $|f(x) - L| < (1/2)L$, or $-(1/2)L < f(x) - L < (1/2)L$. In particular, $f(x) - L > -(1/2)L$, so $f(x) > L - (1/2)L = (1/2)L > 0$, as desired.
Thanks Euge ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

What is the B&S Theorem 4.2.9?

The B&S Theorem 4.2.9, also known as the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem, states that every bounded sequence of real numbers has a convergent subsequence.

What are the limits of functions?

The limits of functions refer to the behavior of a function as the input values approach a certain value. In other words, it describes how a function behaves near a particular point.

What is the significance of B&S Theorem 4.2.9 in mathematics?

The B&S Theorem 4.2.9 is significant in mathematics because it provides a way to prove the existence of a limit for a bounded sequence. It is also used in many other mathematical proofs and theories.

How is the B&S Theorem 4.2.9 applied in real-life situations?

The B&S Theorem 4.2.9 has applications in various areas such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to determine the convergence of a sequence in real-world scenarios where there is a limit to a particular process or behavior.

What are the limitations of the B&S Theorem 4.2.9?

The B&S Theorem 4.2.9 has certain limitations, such as it only applies to bounded sequences of real numbers and does not work for unbounded sequences. It also does not provide information about the actual value of the limit, only its existence.