Linear Applications: Electrical Networks

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of determining currents in various branches using assigned names and flow directions. The speaker created three equations and solved for the currents using a matrix, resulting in different values than the book's stated solution. It was concluded that the book's solution may belong to a different problem with different resistors and voltage.
Pull and Twist
So I am having difficulty with the following problem;

Determine the currents in the various branches.

View attachment 5184

So I went ahead and assigned I names to the various branches and drew in flow directions to help me visualize the problem better.

From there I created the following three equations;

I1=I2+I3
2I1+3I2=10
2I1+4I3=10

Which I then put in a matrix and was able to reduce for the following solutions;

I1=35/13
I2=20/13
I3=15/13

The problem is that the book states that I should be getting;

I1=5/7
I2=20/7
I3=15/7

Where am I going wrong in setting up my equations? I know I'm not messing up going to RREF form cause my calculator is giving me the same answer. I figure I must be screwing up the initial equations.

Attachments

• problem_1.jpg
    problem_1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 49
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi PullandTwist,

I believe your equations and solution are fine.
The stated book solution is wrong.
It looks as if it belongs to a similar problem with different resistors.
For instance with resistors $2\ \Omega, 2\ \Omega, 6\ \Omega$ and voltage $10\ \textrm{V}$.

1. What are electrical networks?

Electrical networks are systems of interconnected electrical components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that are used to transmit and distribute electrical energy. They can range in size from small circuits in electronic devices to large power grids that supply electricity to cities and countries.

2. How are electrical networks analyzed?

Electrical networks are typically analyzed using principles from linear algebra, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. These laws allow scientists to calculate the voltage, current, and power at different points in the network and determine how the components are connected and how energy is flowing through the system.

3. What are some common applications of electrical networks?

Electrical networks have a wide range of applications, including power generation and distribution, telecommunications, and electronic devices. They are also used in industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and healthcare to control and monitor systems and processes.

4. What are some challenges in designing and maintaining electrical networks?

Designing and maintaining electrical networks can be challenging due to factors such as changing energy demands, environmental factors, and the complexity of the interconnected components. Additionally, ensuring the safety and reliability of the network is crucial, and requires regular maintenance and monitoring.

5. How do advancements in technology impact electrical networks?

Advancements in technology have greatly impacted electrical networks, allowing for more efficient and reliable energy transmission and distribution. For example, the use of renewable energy sources and smart grid technology has made it possible to integrate more sustainable and resilient systems into existing networks. Additionally, the development of advanced sensors and monitoring systems has improved the maintenance and management of electrical networks.