Linearity of the Differential .... Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 ....

In summary, the conversation is about Chapter 9 of Hugo D. Junghenn's book "A Course in Real Analysis" and a specific aspect of Theorem 9.2.1. The author makes a comment regarding the application of Theorem 9.1.10 in the proof of Theorem 9.2.1 and is confused about the need for another application of 9.1.10. After further discussion, it is clarified that the second application of 9.1.10 is needed to prove that ##\alpha \mathbf{ df_a } + \beta \mathbf{ dg_a }## is the differential of ##\alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Hugo D. Junghenn's book: "A Course in Real Analysis" ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 9: "Differentiation on Rn"

I need some help with an aspect of Theorem 9.2.1 ...

Theorem 9.2.1 reads as follows:
Junghenn - Theorem 9.2.1   ...  ... .png

Theorem 9.2.1 refers to and relies on Theorem 9.1.10 ... ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:

Junghenn - Theorem 9.1.10   ...  ... .png

At the end of the proof of Theorem 9.2.1 we read the following:

" ... ... Then

##( \alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf{g} ) ( \mathbf{a} + \mathbf{h} ) = ( \alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf{g} ) ( \mathbf{a} ) + ( \alpha \mathbf{ df_a } + \beta \mathbf{ dg_a } ) ( \mathbf{ h } ) + \| \mathbf{ h } \| ##and##\lim_{ \mathbf{ h } \rightarrow \mathbf{ 0 } } ( \alpha \eta + \beta \mu ) ( \mathbf{ h } ) = \mathbf{ 0 }##Another application of 9.1.10 completes the proof."
I don't understand the comment: "Another application of 9.1.10 completes the proof." ... ... why do we need another application of 9.1.10 ...

Doesn't the line" ##( \alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf{g} ) ( \mathbf{a} + \mathbf{h} ) = ( \alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf{g} ) ( \mathbf{a} ) + ( \alpha \mathbf{ df_a } + \beta \mathbf{ dg_a } ) ( \mathbf{ h } ) + \| \mathbf{ h } \| ##and##\lim_{ \mathbf{ h } \rightarrow \mathbf{ 0 } } ( \alpha \eta + \beta \mu ) ( \mathbf{ h } ) = \mathbf{ 0 }## ..."actually complete the proof?
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter*** EDIT ***

I think I see what the author meant ... he is arguing that the statement:" ##( \alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf{g} ) ( \mathbf{a} + \mathbf{h} ) = ( \alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf{g} ) ( \mathbf{a} ) + ( \alpha \mathbf{ df_a } + \beta \mathbf{ dg_a } ) ( \mathbf{ h } ) + \| \mathbf{ h } \| ##and##\lim_{ \mathbf{ h } \rightarrow \mathbf{ 0 } } ( \alpha \eta + \beta \mu ) ( \mathbf{ h } ) = \mathbf{ 0 }##BY 9.1.10 ! (THAT IS APPLYING 9.1.10 AGAIN)

proves that
##\alpha \mathbf{ df_a } + \beta \mathbf{ dg_a }## is the differential of ##\alpha \mathbf{f} + \beta \mathbf{g}## ...Hence we do apply 9.1.10 again ...

Is that right ...

(If it is correct ... then my apologies for the simple confusion ... )

Attachments

• Junghenn - Theorem 9.2.1   ...  ... .png
    Junghenn - Theorem 9.2.1 ... ... .png
    27.5 KB · Views: 830
  • Junghenn - Theorem 9.1.10   ...  ... .png
    Junghenn - Theorem 9.1.10 ... ... .png
    30.5 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that's correct. In the second application of 9.1.10 he is using the reverse direction of the iff in Theorem 9.1.10, arguing from the existence of the function ##(\alpha\eta+\beta\mu)## to the conclusion that ##(\alpha f+\beta g)## is differentiable.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ...

That helps ...

Peter

1. What is the Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1?

The Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is differentiable and its derivative is linear, then the function itself is also linear.

2. What is the significance of the Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1?

The Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 is significant because it allows us to simplify the process of finding the derivative of a function. Instead of using the limit definition, we can use the linear property to find the derivative more efficiently.

3. How is the Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 used in real-life applications?

The Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. It helps in modeling and analyzing complex systems by simplifying the process of finding derivatives.

4. Can the Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 be applied to all functions?

No, the Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 can only be applied to differentiable functions whose derivatives are linear. It does not work for functions with non-linear derivatives, such as exponential and trigonometric functions.

5. Is the Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 related to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the Linearity of the Differential Junghenn Theorem 9.2.1 is closely related to the concepts of linearity and differentiability in calculus. It is also connected to the concept of linear transformations in linear algebra.