Liquid Sodium in a sealed tube

In summary: These materials are pyrolyzed and the sodium is released into the atmosphere. In summary, this person is testing a system for liquid sodium wicking under high temperatures. The setup is as follows: solid sodium pellets are placed in a tube which is then purged of oxygen (replaced with Argon). The tube is sealed and then heated to 300-400 degrees Celsius and agitated with a shaking mechanism. My questions are the following: where can I find a good reference on setting up sealed tube experiments (i.e. materials, methods to seal the tube, etc...)? what type of tube might I use (is quartz o.k. with sodium at these High temperatures?)? what additional safety precautions are needed in case the
dpage
I need to test a system for liquid sodium wicking under high temperatures. The setup is as follows:

Solid sodium pellets are placed in a tube which is then purged of oxygen (replaced with Argon). The tube is sealed and then heated to 300-400 degrees Celsius and agitated with a shaking mechanism.​

My questions are the following:

Where can I find a good reference on setting up sealed tube experiments(i.e. materials, methods to seal the tube, etc...)?

It is preferable that the tube be transparent for observation. What type of tube might I use(is quartz o.k. with sodium at these High temperatures?)?

What additional safety precautions are needed in case the tube cracks? It seems like an outer metal cylinder is typically used for this, but this is not possible for an experiment involving agitation. Also we would like to be able to observe...Anything we can do besides have a fire extinguisher on hand??​

Much Thanks,
dpage

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try reviewing this paper: T. Gnanasekaran, K.H. Mahendran, G. Periaswami, C.K. Mathews, H.U. Borgstedt, Stability of ternary oxygen compounds of molybdenum in liquid sodium, Journal of Nuclear Materials, Volume 150, Issue 2, October 1987, Pages 113-127, ISSN 0022-3115, DOI: 10.1016/0022-3115(87)90068-7.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6TXN-480TP8C-1PN/2/bb6423754f402fbe9be88e35a892ce0f)

See if they used a quartz crucible with liquid sodium, or perhaps asked someone in the chemistry department.

It may be possible to use a quartz tube, e.g., a test tube that is then sealed at the top.

I'd purge the oxygen first before admitting the sodium, which is probably stored in oil or inert gas.

Peform the experiement in a glove box or chamber in an iner gas, e.g., argon.

If one cannot use a glass or transparent ceramic, then one would have to use something like a stainless steel, or perhaps aluminum tube. In that case, one would have to use X-rays to view inside, and that requires radiation protection/shielding.

Folks have looked at sodium bonded fuel elements.

Hi dpage,

Firstly, I would recommend consulting with a professional scientist or engineer who specializes in high temperature experiments to ensure proper safety and protocol. With that being said, here are my suggestions for your questions:

1. For references on setting up sealed tube experiments, I would recommend looking into scientific journals or articles on high temperature experiments using sealed tubes. You can also consult with a scientific research library or online databases for relevant information.

2. As for a transparent tube, quartz is a suitable material for use with liquid sodium at high temperatures. However, it is important to note that quartz can become brittle at high temperatures and may crack or shatter. It is recommended to use a thicker-walled quartz tube to minimize this risk. Other options for transparent tubes include borosilicate glass or sapphire.

3. Safety precautions for potential tube cracking include using a sturdy and heat-resistant outer casing or shield, such as a metal cylinder, to contain any potential spills or leaks. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher on hand and to wear appropriate protective gear, such as heat-resistant gloves and goggles.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

Related to Liquid Sodium in a sealed tube

What is liquid sodium?

Liquid sodium is a chemical element with the symbol Na and atomic number 11. It is a highly reactive metal that is typically stored and transported in sealed tubes to prevent it from reacting with air or water.

How is liquid sodium produced?

Liquid sodium is typically produced through the electrolysis of molten sodium chloride (table salt) in a process called the Downs process. It can also be produced through the reaction of sodium hydroxide with metallic sodium at high temperatures.

What are the properties of liquid sodium?

Liquid sodium is a silvery white metal that is highly reactive and melts at a low temperature of 98°C (208°F). It is a good conductor of electricity and has a high boiling point of 883°C (1621°F). It is also highly corrosive and can react violently with water.

What are the uses of liquid sodium?

Liquid sodium is commonly used as a coolant in nuclear reactors due to its high heat transfer capabilities. It is also used in the production of certain chemicals, such as sodium azide and sodium cyanide. In addition, it is used in the production of metal alloys and as a heat transfer medium in some industrial processes.

What are the safety precautions for handling liquid sodium?

Due to its highly reactive nature, liquid sodium should be handled with extreme caution. It can react violently with water, acids, and oxidizing agents, so it should only be handled in a controlled environment by trained professionals. Protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, should be worn at all times when handling liquid sodium. In addition, proper ventilation and storage in sealed tubes are necessary to prevent accidents.