Local max and min (including a domain)

In summary: That's PI. It's just a pretty big number. In summary, the function given has a derivative of 3/(2√x) - 2Sin(x) and is undefined at x = 0. It becomes a maximum at x = 60 and a minimum at x = -60.
King_Silver
I have this function: f(x) = √3x + 2Cos(x)
I have to find the local maxima and minima,where -π ∠ or equal to x ∠ or equal to 2π.

1: Differentiate the function given.
f'(x) = 3/(2√x) -2Sin(x)

2: Find where f'(x) is undefined or = 0 to get critical points.

3: Find f''(x) [The second differential]

4: Sub in critical values for x, if < 0 = Minima, if > 0 = Maxima.

Question 1:What does this domain mean? and how will it affect my answer(s)?
Question 2:Is there any easier way to find where f'(x) is undefined or 0 other than subbing in random values until you get ones that work? I always get stuck at this part despite knowing everything else, without the correct critical values it is pointless to continue with a question.

Physics news on Phys.org
King_Silver said:
I have this function: f(x) = √3x + 2Cos(x)

Is that ##\sqrt{3}x## or ##\sqrt{3x}## in your function?

PeroK said:
Is that ##\sqrt{3}x## or ##\sqrt{3x}## in your function?
##\sqrt{3x}##

King_Silver said:
##\sqrt{3x}##

Are you sure?

PeroK said:
Are you sure?
A sugar I misread! its the other one.

King_Silver said:
A sugar I misread! its the other one.

Try that one. It might be a little easier.

Likes King_Silver
PeroK said:
Try that one. It might be a little easier.
f'(x) = sqrt(3) - 2Sin(x)

King_Silver said:
f'(x) = sqrt(3) - 2Sin(x)

And where is ##f'(x) = 0##?

PeroK said:
And where is ##f'(x) = 0##?
Couldn't tell you if my life depended on it.

Been trying numbers such as 0, -1,-2,-3,-4 and 1,2,3,4... etc. but they are giving decimal places. Also does "undefined" just mean like it doesn't give a solution whatsoever?

If you re-arrange it, you get:

##sin(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##

If that doesn't look familiar, then you could use the inverse function ##sin^{-1}##

Likes King_Silver
PeroK said:
If you re-arrange it, you get:

##sin(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##

If that doesn't look familiar, then you could use the inverse function ##sin^{-1}##
Ah yea so that is = 60 so one critical point is = 60. So there is a method to find where x = 0 thanks :) !
And what about where it is undefined? :) and where does the domain come into a question like this?

King_Silver said:
Ah yea so that is = 60 so one critical point is = 60. So there is a method to find where x = 0 thanks :) !
And what about where it is undefined? :) and where does the domain come into a question like this?

Mathematically, the trig functions are defined in terms of radians, not degrees. Also, trig functions are periodic, so ##sin(x)## will take a given value at more than one point. This is where the domain comes in. You need to find all points where ##sin(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}## in the given domain.

You've got a nice, regular function for ##f'(x)## so that's not undefined anywhere. So, in this problem, there's no complexity like that to worry about.

I'm not sure why you're interested in where ##f(x) = 0##. You don't need that to find maxima and minima.

PeroK said:
Mathematically, the trig functions are defined in terms of radians, not degrees. Also, trig functions are periodic, so ##sin(x)## will take a given value at more than one point. This is where the domain comes in. You need to find all points where ##sin(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}## in the given domain.

You've got a nice, regular function for ##f'(x)## so that's not undefined anywhere. So, in this problem, there's no complexity like that to worry about.

I'm not sure why you're interested in where ##f(x) = 0##. You don't need that to find maxima and minima.

*f'(x) my bad.

So are these steps correct?

1: differentiate f(x)
2: Find where f'(x) is 0 or undefined (i.e. critical value at 60 as calculated)
3: Find f''(x)
4: sub in critical point instead of x
5: If greater than 0 it is a minimum, if less it is a maximum.

But the question stated to find the "local maxima AND minima" I will only find one of these using this method right? And will the domain affect my answers?

King_Silver said:
*f'(x) my bad.

So are these steps correct?

1: differentiate f(x)
2: Find where f'(x) is 0 or undefined (i.e. critical value at 60 as calculated)
3: Find f''(x)
4: sub in critical point instead of x
5: If greater than 0 it is a minimum, if less it is a maximum.

But the question stated to find the "local maxima AND minima" I will only find one of these using this method right? And will the domain affect my answers?

That's the correct method. You will find all maxima and minima this way. The domain does affect your answer. If you look for any ##x##, your ##f(x)## here has an infinite number of maxima and minima.

You're still working in degrees, I see!

Likes King_Silver
PeroK said:
That's the correct method. You will find all maxima and minima this way. The domain does affect your answer. If you look for any ##x##, your ##f(x)## here has an infinite number of maxima and minima.

You're still working in degrees, I see!

*1/3pi my bad! Thanks! :D

Doesn't ##\sin x = \frac{\sqrt 3}{2}## have another solution when ##-\pi \le x \le 2\pi##?
How about ##x=\frac{2\pi}{3}## (or ##x=120^\circ##)?

King_Silver said:
No, it is NOT "= 60". It is equal to 60 degrees or [itex]\pi/3[/itex] or simply [itex]\pi/3[/itex]. You can drop the "radians" in such an answer but not degrees.

1. What is a local max and min in terms of a function's domain?

A local max is the highest point on a function within a certain interval of the domain. A local min is the lowest point on a function within a certain interval of the domain.

2. How do you determine if a point is a local max or min?

To determine if a point is a local max or min, you need to check the function's derivative at that point. If the derivative is equal to zero and changes from positive to negative, the point is a local max. If the derivative is equal to zero and changes from negative to positive, the point is a local min.

3. Can a function have multiple local maxima and minima?

Yes, a function can have multiple local maxima and minima. This occurs when there are multiple peaks and valleys within a certain interval of the function's domain.

4. How do you find the local max and min values of a function?

To find the local max and min values of a function, you need to first find the critical points by taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero. Then, plug in these critical points into the original function to determine the y-values. The highest y-value will be the local max and the lowest y-value will be the local min.

5. What is the significance of local max and min values in real-world applications?

Local max and min values are important in real-world applications because they represent the highest and lowest points of a function within a certain interval. This can be useful in optimizing processes and finding the most efficient solutions in various industries, such as engineering, economics, and physics.