Local Trivialization in Covering Spaces

• Thread starter Bacle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary, covering maps have the local triviality condition where every point in the base space has a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to a product of itself and the fiber. The fiber is a disjoint collection of open sets, indexed by the cardinality of the fiber. This means that every covering space can be seen as a locally trivial fiber bundle with discrete fibers. However, the opposite is not always true as not all bundles are covering spaces. The difference lies in the action of homeomorphisms on the base space, with covering spaces having a proper discontinuous action.
Bacle
Hi, All:

I am trying to understand why covering maps have the

local triviality condition, i.e., given a cover C:X-->Y, every point y in Y

has a neighborhood Oy of y with p^-1(Oy)~ Oy x F, where F is the fiber. This

seems confusing, in that fibers of covering maps are a (discrete) collection of points

in X (since local diffeomorphisms are local bijections, the preimages are isolated/discrete)

. Does this statement just mean that the fiber is just a disjoint/discrete

collection of open sets, indexed by the cardinality of the fiber, or is there more than

that to it? I am thinking of standard examples like the covering map f:R-->$S^1$,

given by f(t)=(cost,sint), an infinite-to-one cover; would the Oy here be any 'hood

(neighborhood) of y that evenly-covers y?

Also: if this local triviality holds: is every covering map a bundle

of C over X with singletons as fibers?

Sorry, I know this is simple, but I haven't seen it in a while, and hopefully someone's

comments will jog my memory.

Physics news on Phys.org
If Oy is evenly covered, then p^{-1}(Oy) is a disjoint union of sets homeomorphic to Oy and there are N of them, where N is the number of sheets of the covering (not necessarily an integer). But it seems indeed that p^{-1}(Oy) can also be seen as a product Oy x S, where S is any set of cardinality N equipped with the discrete topology, thus making a covering space into a locally trivial fiber bundle with discrete fibers.

they have it so you can lift maps of curves into the base.

Hmm.. that is interesting; every covering space is (can be made into) a bundle with discrete fiber. Is the opposite also the case, that every bundle is a covering space? It would seem so, but then what is the difference between the two?

WWGD said:
Hmm.. that is interesting; every covering space is (can be made into) a bundle with discrete fiber. Is the opposite also the case, that every bundle is a covering space? It would seem so, but then what is the difference between the two?

Do you mean that or "is every bundle with discrete fiber a covering space"?

Yes. It just means that there are F disjoint homeomorphic copies of the open set in the covering space.

I get a better picture of this when I think of the covering space and a group of homeomorphism of it that wrap it up onto itself. The homeomorphisms act properly discontinuously, that is every point has a neighborhood that is mapped to another neighborhood that is disjoint from it. These are the neighborhoods in the preimage of a neighborhood in the quotient space, the same neighborhood you asked about.

Last edited:

Related to Local Trivialization in Covering Spaces

1. What is local trivialization in covering spaces?

Local trivialization in covering spaces is a mathematical concept used in topology to describe how a covering space is constructed from a base space. It involves dividing the covering space into smaller regions, called open sets, which can be mapped to corresponding open sets in the base space via a continuous function. This process allows for a better understanding of the structure and properties of a covering space.

2. Why is local trivialization important in covering spaces?

Local trivialization is important in covering spaces because it allows for a more detailed analysis of the relationship between the covering space and the base space. It helps to identify the local behavior of the covering space and how it relates to the global structure of the base space. Local trivialization also allows for the identification of topological invariants, which can be used to classify covering spaces.

3. How is local trivialization achieved in covering spaces?

Local trivialization in covering spaces is achieved by defining a continuous function, known as a local homeomorphism, between the covering space and the base space. This function maps open sets in the covering space to corresponding open sets in the base space, preserving the topological structure. By dividing the covering space into smaller open sets and using local homeomorphisms, local trivialization can be achieved.

4. What are some examples of local trivialization in covering spaces?

One example of local trivialization in covering spaces is the universal covering space of a surface, such as the sphere or torus. Another example is the Möbius strip, which can be locally trivialized by dividing it into two open sets and mapping each set to a corresponding open set in the base space. In general, any covering space that can be constructed using a local homeomorphism can be locally trivialized.

5. How does local trivialization relate to the concept of a covering map?

Local trivialization is closely related to the concept of a covering map. A covering map is a continuous function between two topological spaces that satisfies certain properties, including local homeomorphism. This means that a covering map can be used to achieve local trivialization in covering spaces. However, not all local homeomorphisms are covering maps, so there are cases where local trivialization can be achieved without a covering map.