Location of a load on a platform

In summary, a platform for storage can have a greater capacity if the load is placed on the inside edge of the platform.
JosephNY
Hi,

I'm hoping to better understand the physics involved in building a platform for storage.

I have an exterior wall with a 2x6 header nailed horizontally into it.

10' in from that wall, I have 2x6's vertically from concrete floor up.

On the top of the header and vertical 2x6's is a 2x4 rectangular frame (10' x 20').

I believe that the interior wall of 2x6 has a far (far) greater capacity to hold weight because compression strength of 2x6 is pretty darn high (that's not a technical term).

The header, on the other hard, is nailed. This means (I believe) that the holding strength is a function of the sheer strentgth of the nails and the friction between the header and the wall.

My question is: Does the placement of the load on the 3/4" plywood sitting on the 2x4 frame change the max weight capacity of that load?

Put another way (because I don't speak engineering or physics well), if I put the entire load on the inside edge of the platform (directly above the 2x6 supports) do I get a greater load capacity than putting the load directly above the header nailed to the wall?

Here's some pics to clarify.

Thank you!

Joseph
platform A B C.jpg
platform corner view.jpg

Attachments

• platform A B C.jpg
    platform A B C.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 416
  • platform corner view.jpg
    platform corner view.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 388
Engineering news on Phys.org
You should probably ignore friction and say it's just limited by the shear strength of the nails. Thats because ails can't be relied on to provide a clamping force. Should use bolts for this instead of nails.

What size are the joists that run between the two walls? Looks like 2*4 from the description. That sounds too small to be "code" for a floor where I live.

PS is there a danger of racking?

I'm sorry. I myself would love to offer my advice. But you are asking about structural analysis for a building. Even storage buildings can injure people if they collapse. Below is our standard answer to all such topics.

We do not regulate who will answer, esp. not their expertise.
We cannot give statements with a potentially legal impact.
We are not certified.
We cannot know the entire situation, regardless how detailed your description might be. I.e. we have neither all variables nor enough statistical nor mechanical data, which a responsible judgement would require.
Even an informal answer cannot be given, as we do not have control over its usage.
So as in all of these cases, we strongly recommend to consult a local expert, who can inspect what you are talking about, has sufficient experience and data for comparison, plus most important: is certified, so that his expertise will be of legal value.

You already have some answers. Regrettably, thread locked.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the location of a load on a platform affect its stability?

The location of a load on a platform can greatly impact its stability. Placing the load too far to one side can cause the platform to tilt and potentially tip over. It is important to evenly distribute the load on a platform to maintain its stability.

2. What factors should be considered when determining the location of a load on a platform?

When determining the location of a load on a platform, it is important to consider the weight and size of the load, as well as the weight and size of the platform itself. The platform's center of gravity and any potential hazards in the surrounding environment should also be taken into account.

3. Is the location of a load on a platform important for safety?

Yes, the location of a load on a platform is crucial for safety. Placing the load in an unstable location can lead to accidents and injuries. It is important to follow proper guidelines and procedures for load placement to ensure the safety of both workers and the load itself.

4. How can the location of a load on a platform affect its weight capacity?

The location of a load on a platform can directly affect its weight capacity. Placing the load too far to one side can create an uneven distribution of weight, potentially exceeding the platform's weight limit and causing it to fail. It is important to always evenly distribute the load on a platform to avoid overloading it.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for the location of a load on a platform?

Yes, there are regulations and standards that must be followed when determining the location of a load on a platform. These may vary depending on the industry and type of platform, but they typically include guidelines for weight distribution, center of gravity, and safety precautions. It is important to be familiar with these regulations and follow them to ensure safe and efficient use of the platform.