What Determines the Locus of Midpoints Between Two Lines in Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving orthonormal bases and two lines with parametric equations. The first part proves that the two lines are non-coplanar. The second part shows that a given point belongs to one of the lines. The third part asks for the locus of the midpoint of a segment while the points on the two lines move. The answer shows that the locus is a plane, as opposed to a line in the previous part. The difference is due to the fact that the midpoint in the third part has two degrees of freedom, while in the previous part it only had one.
Perlita
Hello everyone,
Here's an exercise I have to solve:
Given an orthonormal basis (O;i,j,k) and two lines m and n whose respective parametric equations are:
x = 2+t x = 4-3t'
y = 3-2t (t belongs to R) and y = 5-8t' (t' belongs to R)
z = 5-t z = 7-t'

1)Show that Lines m and n are non-coplanar.(easy)
2) Show that point A(2,3,5) belongs to line m.

Let B be a point on line n.
Find the locus of point I, midpoint of segment AB, while B moves along line n.

3) Let M be a point of line m, and B be a point of line n.
Find the locus of the midpoint of segment MB while M and B move along lines m and n respectively.
The answers I gave:
2)By substitution in the equation of line m, we see that A belongs to m.
point A = (2,3,5) corresponds to t=0
point B has the form (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

I = (3,4,6) + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of points halfway between a given point and a line is a line.

3)point M = (2,3,5) + (+1,-2,-1)t
point B = (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

Midpoint of MB: (3,4,6) + (1/2,-1,-1/2)t + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of the midpoint of MB is a plane (but how to explain clearly to the teacher that it's a plane??)Well, I hope that I answered correctly on the two parts.And my second question is:
why this difference between parts 2 and 3? why the locus in part 3 is not a line as well (as in part 2)? I mean that in the two parts we're finding the locus of a midpoint...
-
Thanks for helping.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: locus of a point in Space

Perlita said:
Hello everyone,
Here's an exercise I have to solve:
Given an orthonormal basis (O;i,j,k) and two lines m and n whose respective parametric equations are:
x = 2+t x = 4-3t'
y = 3-2t (t belongs to R) and y = 5-8t' (t' belongs to R)
z = 5-t z = 7-t'

1)Show that Lines m and n are non-coplanar.(easy)
2) Show that point A(2,3,5) belongs to line m.

Let B be a point on line n.
Find the locus of point I, midpoint of segment AB, while B moves along line n.

3) Let M be a point of line m, and B be a point of line n.
Find the locus of the midpoint of segment MB while M and B move along lines m and n respectively.
The answers I gave:
2)By substitution in the equation of line m, we see that A belongs to m.
point A = (2,3,5) corresponds to t=0
point B has the form (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

I = (3,4,6) + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of points halfway between a given point and a line is a line.

3)point M = (2,3,5) + (+1,-2,-1)t
point B = (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

Midpoint of MB: (3,4,6) + (1/2,-1,-1/2)t + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of the midpoint of MB is a plane (but how to explain clearly to the teacher that it's a plane??)Well, I hope that I answered correctly on the two parts.And my second question is:
why this difference between parts 2 and 3? why the locus in part 3 is not a line as well (as in part 2)? I mean that in the two parts we're finding the locus of a midpoint...
-
Thanks for helping.

Welcome to MHB, Perlita! :)

Your answers to parts 2 and 3 look fine.
To complete part 3, you need that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent. I presume you already did something similar for part 1?

As for the difference, well, algebraically the mid-point in part 3 has 2 degrees of freedom, since there are 2 variables t and t'.

To understand geometrically, consider for instance the lines that are the x-axis and a line parallel to the y-axis, say at z=2.
If we fix one point on the one line, and drag the other point along the other line, the mid-point describes indeed a line.
If we then move the point on the first line, all those points are translated in another direction.
Can you "see" it?

I like Serena said:
Welcome to MHB, Perlita! :)

Your answers to parts 2 and 3 look fine.
To complete part 3, you need that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent. I presume you already did something similar for part 1?

As for the difference, well, algebraically the mid-point in part 3 has 2 degrees of freedom, since there are 2 variables t and t'.

To understand geometrically, consider for instance the lines that are the x-axis and a line parallel to the y-axis, say at z=2.
If we fix one point on the one line, and drag the other point along the other line, the mid-point describes indeed a line.
If we then move the point on the first line, all those points are translated in another direction.
Can you "see" it?
Thanks a lot! yes I can see it :)
but why should I show that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent in part 3?
And what if the two lines m and n are intersecting? what will be the locus of the midpoint of segment MB?

Perlita said:
Thanks a lot! yes I can see it :)
but why should I show that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent in part 3?

Suppose one is a multiple of the other, then you do not have a plane but a line.
And what if the two lines m and n are intersecting? what will be the locus of the midpoint of segment MB?

Then the support vector in your equation will be the null vector.
The result is a plane that contains the origin.

I like Serena said:
Suppose one is a multiple of the other, then you do not have a plane but a line.

Then the support vector in your equation will be the null vector.
The result is a plane that contains the origin.
why the support vector is the null vector?
if we take for example the two lines
(d): x=3t+2 (d'): x=t'+1
y=-t-1 t belongs to R and y=2t'-3 t' belongs to R
z= t+1 z=-t'+2

these two lines intersect at I(2;-1;1) for t'=1 and t=0
And points M and N moving along d and d' respectively. We need the locus of the midpoint of MN.
why the support vector is null? I can't see it!

Perlita said:
why the support vector is the null vector?
if we take for example the two lines
(d): x=3t+2 (d'): x=t'+1
y=-t-1 t belongs to R and y=2t'-3 t' belongs to R
z= t+1 z=-t'+2

these two lines intersect at I(2;-1;1) for t'=1 and t=0
And points M and N moving along d and d' respectively. We need the locus of the midpoint of MN.
why the support vector is null? I can't see it!

My mistake.
What you do have, is that the intersection point of the 2 lines is in the plane.
And when you have 2 non-intersecting lines, the midpoint where they are closest, is in the plane.

So what's the final answer, if the lines are intersecting?
Thanks

Perlita said:
So what's the final answer, if the lines are intersecting?
Thanks

If the lines are intersecting, the space of midpoints is the plane that the 2 lines span.

Related to What Determines the Locus of Midpoints Between Two Lines in Space?

What is the locus of a point in space?

The locus of a point in space refers to the path or curve traced out by a point as it moves according to a specific set of conditions or constraints.

What are the different types of loci in space?

There are three main types of loci in space: linear, circular, and conic. Linear loci include straight lines and rays, circular loci include circles and arcs, and conic loci include parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas.

How is the locus of a point in space determined?

The locus of a point in space is determined by the set of equations or conditions that define its motion. These can include geometric constraints, physical laws, or mathematical relationships.

What is the importance of studying loci in space?

Studying loci in space can help us understand and predict the behavior of moving objects, such as planets in orbit or particles in a fluid. It also has practical applications in fields like engineering and physics.

Can the locus of a point in space be infinite?

Yes, the locus of a point in space can be infinite if the conditions or equations defining its motion allow for an infinite path. For example, the locus of a point moving at a constant speed in a straight line will be infinite.