Logarithmic Integral Calc: $$\int_{0}^{1}\ln\left(1+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx$$

In summary: So the final answer is:In summary, In order to calculate the integral $\int_{0}^{1}\ln\left(1+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx$, one would need to use integration by parts to solve for $\ln(1+\cos(\theta))$, then use the inverse tangent to find $\theta$.
juantheron
Calculation of $$\int_{0}^{1}\ln\left(1+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx$$

I Have tried like this way:: Let $$I = \int_{0}^{1}\ln\left(1+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx$$ Put $x=\sin \theta\;,$ Then $dx = \cos \theta d\theta$

and changing limits, we get $$I = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln\left(1+\sin \theta \right)\cdot \cos \theta d\theta$$

Now How can I solve after that,

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You would actually have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln\left(1+\cos(\theta)\right)\cdot \cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

At this point I would try IBP, where:

\(\displaystyle u=\ln(1+\cos(\theta))\,\therefore\,du=-\frac{\sin(\theta)}{1+\cos(\theta)}\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\,\therefore\,v=\sin(\theta)\)

jacks said:
Calculation of $$\int_{0}^{1}\ln\left(1+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx$$

I Have tried like this way:: Let $$I = \int_{0}^{1}\ln\left(1+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)dx$$ Put $x=\sin \theta\;,$ Then $dx = \cos \theta d\theta$

and changing limits, we get $$I = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln\left(1+\sin \theta \right)\cdot \cos \theta d\theta$$

Now How can I solve after that,

Thanks

We should note that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arsech}\,{(x)} \equiv \ln{\left( \frac{1}{x} + \sqrt{ \frac{1}{x^2} - 1 } \right) } \textrm{ for } 0 < x \leq 1 \end{align*}$, so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 + \sqrt{ 1 - x^2 } \right) } &= \ln{ \left[ \frac{x\,\left( 1 + \sqrt{ 1 - x^2 } \right)}{x} \right] } \\ &= \ln{ \left[ x\,\left( \frac{1}{x} + \frac{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}{\sqrt{x^2}} \right) \right] } \\ &= \ln{ \left[ x\,\left( \frac{1}{x} + \sqrt{ \frac{1 - x^2}{x^2} } \right) \right] } \\ &= \ln{ \left[ x \, \left( \frac{1}{x} + \sqrt{ \frac{1}{x^2} - 1 } \right) \right] } \\ &= \ln{(x)} + \ln{ \left( \frac{1}{x} + \sqrt{ \frac{1}{x^2} - 1 } \right) } \\ &= \ln{(x)} + \textrm{arsech}\,(x) \end{align*}$

You should be able to look these integrals up in your tables :)

MarkFL said:
You would actually have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln\left(1+\cos(\theta)\right)\cdot \cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

At this point I would try IBP, where:

\(\displaystyle u=\ln(1+\cos(\theta))\,\therefore\,du=-\frac{\sin(\theta)}{1+\cos(\theta)}\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\,\therefore\,v=\sin(\theta)\)

Just to follow up after 24 hours...using my suggestion for continuing, we now have:

\(\displaystyle I=\left.\sin(\theta)\ln(1+\cos(\theta))\right|_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}+\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\sin^2(\theta)}{1+\cos(\theta)}\,d\theta\)

Using \(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^2(\theta)}{1+\cos(\theta)}=\frac{1-\cos^2(\theta)}{1+\cos(\theta)}=1-\cos(\theta)\) we have:

\(\displaystyle I=0+\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}1-\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle I=\left.\theta-\sin(\theta)\right|_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}=\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-1\right)-(0-0)=\frac{\pi}{2}-1\)

1. What is the purpose of calculating the logarithmic integral?

The purpose of calculating the logarithmic integral is to determine the value of the integral in order to solve various mathematical problems. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and analyze various phenomena.

2. How is the logarithmic integral calculated?

The logarithmic integral is calculated using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. It can also be approximated using numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule.

3. What is the domain and range of the logarithmic integral?

The domain of the logarithmic integral is the interval [0, 1] since the integral is defined over this range. The range is the set of real numbers, as the integral can output any real value depending on the chosen bounds.

4. What applications does the logarithmic integral have?

The logarithmic integral has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems in differential equations, probability, and statistics. It is also used in the analysis of electric circuits and the modeling of population growth.

5. How does the value of the logarithmic integral change with different bounds?

The value of the logarithmic integral can vary depending on the chosen bounds of integration. It approaches infinity as the upper bound approaches 1 and approaches 0 as the lower bound approaches 0. The integral also has a singularity at x=1, where the value becomes undefined.