Logarithmic scale for the Laser Intensity.

In summary: I enjoy.In summary, In order to plot a graph of the data, you must first convert the growth rate and laser intensity to a logarithmic scale. Next, you must plot the data in two extra (log) columns on graph paper. Finally, you must mark the axis labels "Log(growth rate)" and "Log(intensity)."
Amany Gouda
I drawed a relation between the growth rate of the material to the laser intensity.
After drawing, My professor told me that I must convert both values of the growth rate and the laser intensity to their values in the logarithmic scale.
I don't know how.
May I get a help.

Science news on Phys.org
This sort of treatment of data is common amongst experimenters because it presents the data in a more readable graphical form. It looks like gobbledegook when you are not familiar with the process or the reasons for doing it but it is worth getting familiar with it.
Draw up a table of the results with an added column for each variable in which you put the log of the values - simple as that. Plot the values in the two extra (log) columns on ordinary graph paper. Mark the Axis labels "Log(growth rate)" and Log(intensity)" and don't worry about the fact that the actual numbers don't appear to make much sense. It will probably spread the points out nicely, compared with plotting on a linear scale.
Hint: If you can use a spreadsheet then this sort of thing is very convenient as you can easily plot graphs of the combinations of linear and logarithmic scales for each variable. It's very handy to do this sort of thing because it can often show you a straight line for one of the graphs. Get Into Spreadsheets!

Likes Amany Gouda and lychette
sophiecentaur said:
This sort of treatment of data is common amongst experimenters because it presents the data in a more readable graphical form. It looks like gobbledegook when you are not familiar with the process or the reasons for doing it but it is worth getting familiar with it.
Draw up a table of the results with an added column for each variable in which you put the log of the values - simple as that. Plot the values in the two extra (log) columns on ordinary graph paper. Mark the Axis labels "Log(growth rate)" and Log(intensity)" and don't worry about the fact that the actual numbers don't appear to make much sense. It will probably spread the points out nicely, compared with plotting on a linear scale.
Hint: If you can use a spreadsheet then this sort of thing is very convenient as you can easily plot graphs of the combinations of linear and logarithmic scales for each variable. It's very handy to do this sort of thing because it can often show you a straight line for one of the graphs. Get Into Spreadsheets!

print off some log-log and log-linear graph paper...plot your data...straight lines guaranteed

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
Dear https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/logarithmic-scale-for-the-laser-intensity.883345/members/sophiecentaur.199289/ ,

Thank you for your explanation , it is too easy explanation.
but I was wondering if I should take log to the final results go the growth rate and laser intensity only or I should take the log over all internal calculation to get the growth rate?
Waiting for your answer.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Amany Gouda said:
Dear https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/logarithmic-scale-for-the-laser-intensity.883345/members/sophiecentaur.199289/ ,

Thank you for your explanation , it is too easy explanation.
but I was wondering if I should take log to the final results go the growth rate and laser intensity only or I should take the log over all internal calculation to get the growth rate?
Waiting for your answer.
Thank you

If you know the law, connecting variables then you can choose correctly. If not then just try all the combinations. You should seriously consider getting into spreadsheets, over 30 years ago, a colleague urged me to use one ( on a BBC Micro!). They are available everywhere and make it so easy to experiment with data.
Much more use and at least as much fun as a computer game. [emoji4]

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a logarithmic scale for Laser Intensity?

A logarithmic scale for Laser Intensity is a type of graph that is used to represent the intensity of laser light on a non-linear scale. This means that the distance between each point on the scale is not consistent, but instead increases exponentially. This type of scale is often used in scientific research to better visualize data that covers a wide range of values.

Why is a logarithmic scale used for Laser Intensity?

A logarithmic scale is used for Laser Intensity because it allows for a better representation of data that covers a wide range of values. This is because the scale compresses larger values, making it easier to compare and analyze data points that have a large difference in magnitude. Additionally, it can also help to highlight smaller changes in intensity that may be difficult to see on a linear scale.

How is a logarithmic scale for Laser Intensity calculated?

The calculation for a logarithmic scale for Laser Intensity is based on the mathematical concept of logarithms. The scale is created by taking the logarithm of the intensity values and plotting them on a graph. This results in a scale where the distance between each point increases exponentially, rather than linearly.

What are the advantages of using a logarithmic scale for Laser Intensity?

There are several advantages of using a logarithmic scale for Laser Intensity. It allows for a better visualization of data that covers a wide range of values, as mentioned before. It also helps to reduce the impact of outliers on the graph and allows for a more accurate representation of the data. Additionally, a logarithmic scale can also help to reveal patterns or trends that may not be easily visible on a linear scale.

Are there any limitations to using a logarithmic scale for Laser Intensity?

While a logarithmic scale can be useful in many cases, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be appropriate for data that covers a small range of values or when precise numerical values are needed. Additionally, interpreting data on a logarithmic scale may be more challenging for those who are not familiar with this type of graph.