Long Division and Remainder Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using long division and synthetic division to solve a complicated problem involving a function with a given value of k. The problem is to be solved in the form of ƒ(x) = (x - k)q(x) + r, and it is demonstrated that ƒ(k) = r. The conversation includes a screenshot of the second division attempt and a discussion of balancing parentheses and using synthetic division. The final result is shown as -4x^3 + (4-4√3)x^2 + (-12+12√3)x + (-4+4√3).
FritoTaco
NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE MOVED FROM ANOTHER FORUM

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how it works for complicated problems, I know how to use long division, but I'm not understanding how this process is done for a problem like I have.

Instructions: Write the function in the form ƒ(x) = (x - k)q(x) + r for the given value of k, and demonstrate that ƒ(k) = r

Problem: ƒ(x) = -4x³ + 6x² + 4,
k = 1 - √3 <--- when plugging in q in divisor, signs change as you can see in my picture.​

My Work:
So as you can see from my first attached file, I knew that if I wanted to cancel out 4x³ in the dividend, I would multiply 4x³ on top (quotient) with -1 (divisor). But I also now have to multiply 4x³ with √3. I don't know how to answer it? That's where my question mark is.

In my second attachment, you can see I put what I think is right. Then I drop down the 6x² because that's what you do in long division. So the 4x³ cancels out, but then I have two different degrees in the next part. I don't think I can do anything with that.

Another thing is that you've probably read the "Remainder Theorem in the question, I've already done that here so that's fine. I get a remainder of 0. This is the remainder I should get when I long divide.

Remainder Theorem
ƒ(1 - √3) = -4(1 - √3)³ + 6(1 - √3)² + 12(1 - √3) + 4
Solve: equals 0, so remainder is 0.

Then, for the answer, it's asking to put into form of, ƒ(x) = (x - k)q(x) + r. I already have (x - k) which is the (-1 + √3), I would multiply that with q(x), which is what I'm stuck on for getting the quotient in long division. Lastly, I would add the remainder (r) which there is none.

Attachments

• IMG_0015 (1).JPG
    IMG_0015 (1).JPG
    25 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 443
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FritoTaco said:
NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE MOVED FROM ANOTHER FORUM

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how it works for complicated problems, I know how to use long division, but I'm not understanding how this process is done for a problem like I have.

Instructions: Write the function in the form ƒ(x) = (x - k)q(x) + r for the given value of k, and demonstrate that ƒ(k) = r

Problem: ƒ(x) = -4x³ + 6x² + 4,
k = 1 - √3 <--- when plugging in q in divisor, signs change as you can see in my picture.​

My Work:
So as you can see from my first attached file, I knew that if I wanted to cancel out 4x³ in the dividend, I would multiply 4x³ on top (quotient) with -1 (divisor). But I also now have to multiply 4x³ with √3. I don't know how to answer it? That's where my question mark is.

In my second attachment, you can see I put what I think is right. Then I drop down the 6x² because that's what you do in long division. So the 4x³ cancels out, but then I have two different degrees in the next part. I don't think I can do anything with that.

Another thing is that you've probably read the "Remainder Theorem in the question, I've already done that here so that's fine. I get a remainder of 0. This is the remainder I should get when I long divide.

Remainder Theorem
ƒ(1 - √3) = -4(1 - √3)³ + 6(1 - √3)² + 12(1 - √3) + 4
Solve: equals 0, so remainder is 0.

Then, for the answer, it's asking to put into form of, ƒ(x) = (x - k)q(x) + r. I already have (x - k) which is the (-1 + √3), I would multiply that with q(x), which is what I'm stuck on for getting the quotient in long division. Lastly, I would add the remainder (r) which there is none.
A screen shot of your 2nd division attempt:
upload_2016-9-14_21-30-23.png

You need to divide by x - k, which in this case is ##\ x-1+\sqrt{3\,}\ .\ ## You left out the ##\ x\ .##

Likes FritoTaco
I think I know what you're saying but here is what I have so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 398
FritoTaco said:
I think I know what you're saying but here is what I have so far.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/105992
upload_2016-9-15_11-29-3.png

You have unbalanced parentheses and an x2 in the wrong place, or an extra x2.
upload_2016-9-15_11-29-53.png

I suggest you leave the coefficient of x2 intact, that is to say, write the above line as:

##\ -(-4x^3+(4-4\sqrt{3\,})x^2)\ ##

With long division, keeping track of all those signs gets to be a pain. Do you know synthetic division ?

Last edited:
Likes FritoTaco
Haha, it's funny how you mention synthetic division just now. I asked my professor today where I left off with you and he said to use synthetic division. Hey, thank you very much for your help, I do appreciate it, it helped me understand more.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 590
FritoTaco said:
Haha, it's funny how you mention synthetic division just now. I asked my professor today where I left off with you and he said to use synthetic division. Hey, thank you very much for your help, I do appreciate it, it helped me understand more.
You are welcome, and thanks for posting your final result. I'll display the final image below:
img_0045-jpg.106002.jpg

1. What is long division?

Long division is a method used to divide two numbers, where the dividend (number being divided) is written on top and the divisor (number dividing the dividend) is written on the left. The quotient (result of the division) is then written above the dividend and the remainder is written next to the quotient.

2. How do you perform long division?

To perform long division, follow these steps:

Step 1: Divide the first digit of the dividend by the divisor. Write the quotient above the dividend.

Step 2: Multiply the quotient by the divisor and write the result underneath the dividend.

Step 3: Subtract the result from the dividend and write the remainder next to the quotient.

Step 4: Bring down the next digit of the dividend and repeat the process until there are no more digits to bring down.

Step 5: The final quotient is the result of the division and the remainder is the number left over.

3. What is the Remainder Theorem?

The Remainder Theorem states that when a polynomial f(x) is divided by a linear polynomial x-a, the remainder is equal to f(a). In other words, the remainder of a polynomial division can be found by substituting the value of the divisor into the polynomial.

4. How do you use the Remainder Theorem?

To use the Remainder Theorem, follow these steps:

Step 1: Write the polynomial f(x) being divided in standard form.

Step 2: Write the linear polynomial x-a as the divisor.

Step 3: Substitute the value of a into f(x) to find the remainder.

Step 4: The remainder is the final result of the division.

5. What is the significance of the remainder in long division?

The remainder in long division represents the amount left over after dividing the dividend by the divisor. It is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the numbers being divided and the quotient. The remainder can also be used to check the accuracy of the division by multiplying it with the divisor and adding it to the quotient, which should give us the original dividend.