"long-range" and "singular" electrostatic potential?

In summary, the demonstration uses two potentials, the long range and the short range. The long range potential is approximately zero while the short range potential is approximately 1/4pi epsilon_0\frac{q_i}{|r-r_i|}. For very large r, both potentials become zero.
Glxblt76
EDIT: Problem is FIXED.

Hello,

I'm trying to understand Ewald Summation and finally found a great link (http://micro.stanford.edu/mediawiki/images/4/46/Ewald_notes.pdf) that I could follow in the five first pages. But then I'm blocked by a rather odd formulation p. 5, after eq. (25):

"where erfc(z) ≡ 1 − erf(z). Because limz→∞ erf(z) = 1, we know that φ L i (r) is a long-range nonsingular potential and φ S i (r) is a short-range singular potential. (In comparison, the Coulomb potential of a point charge is both long-ranged and singular.) Given this result, we also have [...]"

Since the demonstration is based on this sentence, it's impossible for me to actually represent the next argument, and therefore I'm stuck at this point. I can't figure out what the following idioms actually mean:
- long-range nonsingular potential
- short-range singular potential
- long-ranged and singular potential

Is there a mathematical criterion for making the difference between short-range and long-range?
What does exactly mean "singular"? The wikipedia article on singular functions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_function) does not help me at all to figure out the physical representation and meaning of this property, neither its useful mathematical implications for the demonstration at hand.

Could someone help me understand this and how it leads to eq. 26?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cant help you with the singular term, but about long ranged and short ranged refers to how the potential survives at long distances (large r).

it is ##erfc(z)\approx 0## for large z so the potential ##\phi_i^S(r)\approx 0## is approximately zero for large r, while the long range potential is approximately ##\phi_i^L(r)\approx \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q_i}{|r-r_i|}##. Ofcourse for very large r, ##r\to\infty## both potentials become zero.

Another way to state this is that the sort ranged potential "vanishes faster" than then long ranged potential as ##r\to\infty##

Likes Glxblt76
##\phi_i^S(r)## has a singularity at ##r=0##. ##\phi_i^L(r)##, on the other hand, doesn't because ##\operatorname{erf}(z)## is equal to ##2z/\sqrt{\pi}## to first order.

Likes Glxblt76
Thanks for your responses. This helped me.

Likes Delta2

1. What is long-range electrostatic potential?

Long-range electrostatic potential is the potential energy that is associated with the interaction between two or more charged particles that are separated by a large distance. It is also known as the Coulomb potential and is described by Coulomb's law.

2. How is long-range electrostatic potential calculated?

Long-range electrostatic potential is calculated by using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of long-range electrostatic potential?

The strength of long-range electrostatic potential is affected by the distance between the charged particles, as well as the magnitude and sign of their charges. Additionally, the dielectric constant of the medium surrounding the particles can also influence the strength of the potential.

4. What is singular electrostatic potential?

Singular electrostatic potential refers to the potential energy that is associated with the interaction between a single charged particle and its surroundings. It is also known as the self-potential or self-energy of the charged particle.

5. How is singular electrostatic potential different from long-range electrostatic potential?

Singular electrostatic potential involves the interaction of a single charged particle with its surroundings, while long-range electrostatic potential involves the interaction between two or more charged particles that are separated by a large distance. Additionally, singular electrostatic potential is a local phenomenon, while long-range electrostatic potential is a non-local phenomenon that extends over a larger region.