Looking for a Detailed and Rigorous Combinatorics Textbook

In summary, the individual is seeking a clear and rigorous book on combinatorics that incorporates calculus, as they have already mastered differential and integral calculus. They are also reading a book on set theory and are looking for recommendations at an undergraduate level, such as Introductory Combinatorics by Richard Brualdi or Concrete Mathematics by Graham, Knuth, and Patashnik. They also suggest using Schaum's Outlines for practice and recommend Grimaldi's book for studying discrete math.
Thinkaholic
Hello! I’m teaching myself mathematics and physics, and I’m looking for a clear, rigorous book on combinatorics. The reason being is that past books I’ve read that included some combinatorics were difficult to understand (for example, my first encounter with the subject was in a precalculus textbook in which the binomial expansion was presented without any context really, and that was confusing). I know combinatorics is an incredibly interesting branch of mathematics, and I want to learn it badly. I’ve pretty much mastered differential and integral calculus, so a book on combinatorics that uses a bit of calculus would be good (if combinatorics uses calculus; I don’t know very many details yet). I’m also reading Enderton’s ‘Elements of Set Theory’ so I can handle a book that requires set theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Thinkaholic and Demystifier
Likes Demystifier

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or elements in a systematic way.

2. Why is it important to have a detailed and rigorous combinatorics textbook?

A detailed and rigorous combinatorics textbook provides a solid foundation for understanding the fundamental concepts and techniques in this field. It also prepares students for more advanced topics and applications in mathematics and other fields.

3. What are the key topics that should be covered in a combinatorics textbook?

A good combinatorics textbook should cover a wide range of topics including basic counting principles, permutations and combinations, generating functions, graph theory, and combinatorial designs.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning combinatorics?

There are many excellent combinatorics textbooks available, but some popular options include "A Course in Combinatorics" by J.H. Van Lint and R.M. Wilson, "Introduction to Combinatorics" by Martin J. Erickson, and "Combinatorics: Topics, Techniques, Algorithms" by Peter J. Cameron.

5. How can a detailed and rigorous combinatorics textbook benefit researchers and professionals?

A detailed and rigorous combinatorics textbook can serve as a reference for professionals and researchers in fields such as computer science, statistics, and engineering, where combinatorics plays a crucial role in problem-solving and analysis.