Looking for a digital copy of the Table of Radioactive Isotopes

In summary, if you are in search of a digital copy of the Table of Radioactive Isotopes, there are several online databases available that provide comprehensive and up-to-date information. These databases, such as the Nuclear Wallet Cards from the National Nuclear Data Center, offer a searchable interface and downloadable tables for easy access and use. Additionally, many scientific journals and textbooks also offer digital versions of the table for reference. Overall, obtaining a digital copy of the Table of Radioactive Isotopes is easily accessible and can greatly aid in research and understanding of nuclear physics.
mesa
Gold Member
Hello all, I am looking to get an electronic copy of the Table of Radioactive Isotopes by Edgardo Browne and Richard B. Firestone. I know that we can run software that incorporates this database here:

https://www2.lbl.gov/LBL-Programs/Gamquest.html

, but I am looking for an electronic copy to add to our software.

The current plan is to slice one of the books, gitally scanned, and then converted to text searchable format, but I would be willing to bet someone on PhysicsForum may be able to point us on the right direction.

I will happily pick up a Gold Membership for any PFer(s) that has useful information to this end!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was going to suggest you contact the program author. However the program is 26 years old so that may not be possible. Since it is a Federal Government laboratory, the sources are probably available to US citizens, and maybe to others.

The Books.Google.com sight says "no eBook available", and worldcat.org lists only print versions.

The source of the data, Table of Radioactive Isotopes, by Edgardo Browne and Richard B. Firestone, is 36 years old and over 1000 pgs. long. (note: Browne both wrote the book and directed the program development at LBL.)

If you can't get the data from LBL, the other options would be buy a print copy, around $300, then:
1) scan it and OCR it (probably farm it out to a service, they likely have better software)
2) send it to China for manual data entry (labor costs are a lot lower there)

Edgardo Browne, Nuclear Science Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720 EBROWNE@LBL.Gov

Good Luck! ... and please let us know about any progress you make.
Tom

Likes mesa
gmax137 said:
how's this?
https://www-nds.iaea.org/relnsd/vcharthtml/VChartHTML.html

Oops, maybe that won't help at all, sorry.
That database we have already scraped; now it can be used for most emission spectra that is found in this book, so a good call, but not quite what we are after.

Tom.G said:
I was going to suggest you contact the program author. However the program is 26 years old so that may not be possible. Since it is a Federal Government laboratory, the sources are probably available to US citizens, and maybe to others.

The Books.Google.com sight says "no eBook available", and worldcat.org lists only print versions.

The source of the data, Table of Radioactive Isotopes, by Edgardo Browne and Richard B. Firestone, is 36 years old and over 1000 pgs. long. (note: Browne both wrote the book and directed the program development at LBL.)

If you can't get the data from LBL, the other options would be buy a print copy, around $300, then:
1) scan it and OCR it (probably farm it out to a service, they likely have better software)
2) send it to China for manual data entry (labor costs are a lot lower there)

Edgardo Browne, Nuclear Science Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720 EBROWNE@LBL.Gov

Good Luck! ... and please let us know about any progress you make.
Tom
Indeed, and most of those are options we are currently considering (e.g. why I now have two copies of the book).

Regardless, the suggestions are appreciated!

I would suggest slicing a copy of the book to be unnecessary. On a simple flatbed scanner I usually managed about 90 pages an hour. OCRing that, editing and sanity checking the result is much more labour intensive process than the scanning, in my experience. However, since the data is in the program, that might be the easier way. If there is no 'dump all the data' command, can you enter a range so wide it dumps everything into an output file? Then the data is right and it's just a matter of formatting.

Likes mesa
I missed the word slice in your OP. Yes, slicing is not necessary or easiest.
This article from Wired may help.

DIY Book Scanners Turn Your Books Into Bytes

1647548026537.png

• Informative
Likes mesa and Alex A
In 1996 Wiley released "Table of Isotopes" by Firestone as a CD-ROM edition. It's a 124MB pdf, and *cough*libgen has it*cough*.

I'm not sure if it's what is required. Most of the 14k pages are like I'm staring at level diagrams in an ENSDF viewer. It has a table of gamma rays ordered by energy in Appendix D, but that is only 12 pages.

If scanning "Table of Radioactive Isotopes" is still the plan I wouldn't go to the trouble of building a book cradle. PlusTek OpticBook scanners exist which only need 90 degrees of access and will scan with almost no gap. Though you would need to check the model will scan the (oversize) pages of that edition. All they are is a flatbed with no lip on one side. Scan quality is slightly inferior to a good make of flatbed for the model I tried (3600 I think).

Likes mesa
Some good tips, much appreciated.

Another avenue is to find the original data for the Gamma Ray Spectrum Catalogue(s) for germanium and silicon (and NaI) detectors and have the full spectrum data in our library and simply extract the information of interest for the look up tables. This option is becoming more attractive.

We came across the pdf version of this catalogue and a couple online searcher tools but not the original data set used to produce these spectrums. A few phone calls have been placed, but the last time there seems to be someone involved in the project was in the late 1990's to early 2000's.

1. Where can I find a digital copy of the Table of Radioactive Isotopes?

There are several online databases and resources that provide digital copies of the Table of Radioactive Isotopes, such as the National Nuclear Data Center, the International Atomic Energy Agency, and the Nuclear Energy Agency. These databases can be accessed for free and provide comprehensive information on various radioactive isotopes.

2. Can I access the Table of Radioactive Isotopes for free?

Yes, there are many online resources that provide free access to the Table of Radioactive Isotopes. These include government websites, educational institutions, and scientific organizations. However, some databases may require a subscription or membership for full access to their information.

3. How often is the Table of Radioactive Isotopes updated?

The Table of Radioactive Isotopes is continuously updated as new information and data become available. This is important as the half-lives, decay modes, and other properties of radioactive isotopes can change over time. It is recommended to check the date of the last update when using the table for research purposes.

4. Can I search for specific isotopes in the Table of Radioactive Isotopes?

Yes, most online databases allow users to search for specific isotopes by their name, symbol, atomic number, or other properties. This can be useful when looking for information on a particular isotope or comparing different isotopes with similar properties.

5. Is the Table of Radioactive Isotopes only for scientists?

No, the Table of Radioactive Isotopes is a valuable resource for anyone interested in nuclear science, including students, educators, and the general public. It provides information on the properties and uses of radioactive isotopes, as well as their potential hazards and safety precautions.

Back