Looking for a good differential equations text

In summary, the speaker has been working through Serge Lang's textbooks and is currently studying Multivariable Calculus. They are unsure of where to go next and are looking for a rigorous and theoretical text on differential equations to help review and solidify their understanding. They have aspirations of getting a Ph.D in mathematics and are preparing for the math subject GRE. They also have a test prep book from Princeton Review to help them review and practice challenging problems. They recommend E. Hairer, S.P. Nursett and G. Wanner's book "Solving Ordinary Differential Equations" for its working codes in FORTRAN and variety of examples.
mrg
Good afternoon,

I've been working my way through Serge Lang's series of textbooks, and I recently completed A First Course in Calculus. I'm currently working through the sequel to that book, Multivariable Calculus, and that should keep me tied up for at least two months.

Looking ahead, however, I'm not sure where to go. Logically, (and based on the order of my undergrad classes) Differential Equations should come next. But it doesn't appear that Lang wrote a book on Differential Equations. Worse, he doesn't include any differential equations concepts in his Calculus books (and he doesn't seem to have any of that in his Linear Algebra book, either.)

I'm looking for a text, then, that will help me review and formalize my understanding of differential equations. I'm seeking a writing style like Lang's: Rigorous, theoretical, full of proofs, but having simple examples to build some basic computational skill as well.

As a bit of background, I'm a math major that graduated 5 years ago. Regrettably, I've lost some of my knowledge from my undergrad, wasn't taught it properly (i.e. it was really watered down), or just wasn't taught it at all. I aspire to get my Ph. D in mathematics, and am preparing myself for the math subject GRE next October. To help prepare, I'm working my way through each undergrad course with Lang's texts, reading, doing problems, and writing proofs. Further, I have a test prep book from Princeton Review to give me challenging problems and help to review some of the things taught by Lang.

Thanks for your help in this regard.
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Morris Tenenbaum ODE is a very good book

What are some good textbooks for learning differential equations?

Some popular textbooks for learning differential equations include "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by Simmons, and "A First Course in Differential Equations with Modeling Applications" by Zill.

What level of math is required for understanding differential equations?

A strong understanding of calculus, including concepts such as derivatives and integrals, is necessary for understanding differential equations. Some knowledge of linear algebra may also be helpful.

Are there any online resources for learning differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning differential equations. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes.

What are some tips for studying differential equations?

Some tips for studying differential equations include practicing regularly, understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas, and seeking help from a tutor or professor when needed.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some specific applications include modeling population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, and predicting the spread of diseases.