Looking for help with interpretation of FTIR transmission plot

In summary, the conversation discusses the results of an oil sample analysis from two different labs, with one lab detecting a large amount of contamination with element X. However, there is confusion as one lab used transmission FTIR and the other used absorption FTIR, making it difficult to compare the results. The person then asks for assistance in identifying the major contamination peaks in the provided plot. They also mention that elements are not typically detected by IR/FTIR.
CambridgeMart
I've had an oil sample analysed by 2 separate labs; one of the labs came back with the analysis stating large amount of contamination with element X (sorry, I won't prejudice any responses with the element name for now). Unfortunately one lab used transmission FTIR and the other used absorbtion FTIR, so I personally can't equate the traces. Is anyone prepared to have a glance at the plot (poor copy unfortunately) below and ID the major contamination peaks (i.e. something you shouldn't normally find in an ester based oil?
TIA.

1630103907181.png

Physics news on Phys.org
CambridgeMart said:
contamination with element X
Something doesn't sound right, IR/FTIR doesn't deal with elements.

This is a bit homeworkish so I am moving the thread.

1. What is an FTIR transmission plot?

An FTIR transmission plot is a graph that shows the amount of infrared light that passes through a sample at different wavelengths. It is used to identify the types of chemical bonds present in a sample.

2. How do I interpret an FTIR transmission plot?

To interpret an FTIR transmission plot, first look for peaks in the graph. Each peak represents a specific type of bond or functional group. Then, compare the peaks to known spectra of different compounds to identify the functional groups present in the sample.

3. What factors can affect an FTIR transmission plot?

The thickness of the sample, the type of sample holder, and the concentration of the sample can all affect an FTIR transmission plot. Additionally, the instrument settings and the quality of the sample can also impact the plot.

4. Can an FTIR transmission plot be used to determine the purity of a sample?

Yes, an FTIR transmission plot can be used to determine the purity of a sample by comparing the peaks in the plot to known spectra of pure compounds. Any impurities present in the sample will show up as additional peaks or changes in the intensity of existing peaks.

5. Are there any limitations to using an FTIR transmission plot?

One limitation of using an FTIR transmission plot is that it can only identify the types of bonds or functional groups present in a sample, not the specific compounds. Additionally, the presence of overlapping peaks can make it difficult to accurately identify all functional groups in a sample. It is also important to remember that the plot is only as accurate as the quality of the sample and the instrument settings.