Looking to calculate horsepower by mearuring the change in rpm

In summary, to calculate power (horsepower) by measuring the change in rpm over a few seconds, you can use the formula: hp= (torque x rpm) / 5252, where the torque is kept constant at 200lbs/ft. However, if the engine is accelerating a rotating drum, torque = (angular acceleration) x (angular inertia) and the 5252 constant is not necessary. To determine the engine's horsepower, you can calculate it at the start and end of a specific time period, depending on what measurement you are looking for (average, max, rate of increase).
two4one
as the title states I am looking to solve how to calculate power (horsepower) by measuring the change in rpm over a few seconds. torque will be kept constant at 200lbs/ft.

hp= (torque x rpm) / 5252

since torque will be held constant it reduces to:
hp= C x rpm where C is 200/5252

so let's say i measure the change in rpm over 1 second, how do i use this to calculate horsepower?

..i used to be good at solving problems like this, and i feel crappy that I've lost that ability

if you could shed some light as to how i can set this question up and how to go about finding its solution tht would be great!

thanks
Anth

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look at your formula for horsepower..

It only depends on the instantaneous values of torque and RPM, not on any changes.

zekeman said:
Look at your formula for horsepower..

It only depends on the instantaneous values of torque and RPM, not on any changes.

i looked quickly on wiki for the formula for hp. I am not sure how the constant 5252 was found.

If you could lead me in the righ direction that would great.

This has nothing to do with differential equations so I am moving it to "general math".

two4one said:
i looked quickly on wiki for the formula for hp. I am not sure how the constant 5252 was found.

If you could lead me in the righ direction that would great.

The 5252 is just a conversion of units. It is not appropriate unless you specify the units everywhere.
If the torque is constant and the rpm increasing then the power must be increasing, as HofI said.

yes
so if i find that over 1second there is an increase of 250rpm, ex from 4000 to 4250; can i determine the engines/sources hp?

Last edited:
If you know the torque and the rpm, then you can calculate the power in units of horsepower:

power / hp = torque (ft lb) x rpm (rev / minute) x (1 minute / 60 sec) x (1 sec / (550 ft lb) )

If the engine is accelerating a rotating drum over time, then torque = (angular acceleration) x (angular inertia).

two4one said:
yes
so if i find that over 1second there is an increase of 250rpm, ex from 4000 to 4250; can i determine the engines/sources hp?
You can calculate it at the start of that second, and again at the end of that second, and you will find the hp has increased. So what do you want - the average, the max, the rate of increase...?

1. How do I measure the change in RPM to calculate horsepower?

To calculate horsepower using the change in RPM, you will need a tachometer to measure the engine's RPM before and after the change. The formula for calculating horsepower is (torque x RPM) / 5252.

2. Is there a specific formula to calculate horsepower using RPM?

Yes, the formula for calculating horsepower using RPM is (torque x RPM) / 5252. Make sure to use consistent units for torque (lb-ft or Nm) and RPM (revolutions per minute).

3. Can I calculate horsepower using any change in RPM?

No, the change in RPM must be due to a specific change in the engine, such as accelerating from a stop or shifting gears. Changes in RPM due to external factors, such as wind or road conditions, will not accurately calculate horsepower.

4. Do I need to know the torque of the engine to calculate horsepower using RPM?

Yes, torque is a necessary component in the formula for calculating horsepower using RPM. The torque can be found in the engine's specifications or can be measured using a dynamometer.

5. Are there other methods for calculating horsepower besides using RPM?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating horsepower, such as using a dynamometer or calculating based on the vehicle's speed and weight. However, calculating horsepower using RPM is a commonly used method and can provide a quick estimate of the engine's power.