Looking to start a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace LATE...

• Thread starter HC_SVNT_DRACONES
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the speaker is a 35-year-old network engineer with a love for computers and space. They had a difficult childhood but excelled in school and obtained a high IQ. They had a successful career in IT but suffered a brain injury and now runs their own consulting business. However, they are losing interest in computers and have a strong passion for space flight. They have been building a web portal dedicated to amateur space flight, but it is moving slowly due to lack of interest. They are seeking advice on breaking into the field of space flight, but acknowledge the challenges due to the high level of competition and lower demand. They are considering returning to school, but are unsure if it is necessary.
HC_SVNT_DRACONES
This might be a bit of an odd post, but it is very legit and I am very serious. I am currently 35, and work as a Network Engineer, and have since 1999. I always had a love of two things... computers and space. I got lucky with computers. I do have a genius level IQ on the higher end of the spectrum, but when I was a kid my parents screwed up pretty good with a nasty divorce right when I hit my teens, I went from a perfect student to a pure failure and then dropped out at 16, though I turned around the day I turned 17 and hot one of the highest recorded GED scores, not a big accomplishment. I have a weird way of looking at things and understanding how they work, so school never really helped much anyways. I got lucky that I was interested in computers in the early 90s and hit the workforce just as the dot-com boom started and they were hiring any complete idiot. I had a great career, got the CCIE, along with many other certs, but was in a small plane crash a few years ago and suffered a traumatic brain injury which took me put of work. I am now doing a lot better and have my own consulting biz, so that I can work around my health. The problem is, I have been rapidly losing interest in computers, and gaining in space flight. I have always been a natural with aircraft, had my pilots license before my driver's license. I have this weird feeling that I have to do something related to spaceflight. I don't know what, but it is nearly overpowering, like I HAVE to do it, and don't even care if I make any money, humans NEED to get into space, not just orbit, it's a weird obsession... I know. I have done a lot of tinkering, and picked up orbital mechanics very easily. So, here is the thing... 36 y/o Genius, prior brain injury, high school drop out, no college, but very high-end IT certs. Do I have any chance, and how do I break into the field? I had no prob with going strange routes in IT. I did get a bunch of awesome domain names and have been building out a web portal dedicated to amateur space-flight and CubeSat launches, very in depth cloud solution, wiki's, distributed computing for calculations, and more, just tons of resources, but it is moving very slow. The interest just isn't anywhere near it is in IT. So, any tips on breaking in? My goal with the portal was to be able to get my own CubeSat in orbit, figuring I can use that as proof of skills, but it really doesn't seem like it is enough, anyone saving up enough cash can hop on a launch. Apologies on misspellings, using my phone and autocorrect is going a wee bit crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry you didn't get a reply. I was just checking unanswered threads.

Are you completely sure you wouldn't want to return to school? I don't see a way around that.

There is a large supply of highly qualified people who want to work in astro and aero. The demand is lower than the supply. Even people with degrees often end up not working in the field. I would not rate the prospects of breaking in as very high.

Related to Looking to start a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace LATE...

1. What qualifications do I need to have to start a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace?

To start a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace, you will typically need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science, as well as a degree in a related field such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, or astronomy. It is also beneficial to have research experience and strong analytical skills.

2. What job opportunities are available in the field of Astrophysics/Aerospace?

There are a variety of job opportunities in the field of Astrophysics/Aerospace, including research positions at universities or government agencies, engineering roles in aerospace companies, and data analysis roles at observatories or space agencies. Other potential career paths include teaching, science communication, and consulting.

3. What skills do I need to have to succeed in a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace?

Some of the key skills needed to succeed in a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace include strong analytical skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. It is also important to have excellent communication skills and the ability to present complex information in a clear and understandable manner.

4. What is the typical salary for someone in the field of Astrophysics/Aerospace?

The salary for a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace can vary greatly depending on your specific job, location, and experience level. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 in May 2020.

5. What are some important tips for someone looking to start a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace?

Some important tips for starting a career in Astrophysics/Aerospace include gaining research experience, networking with professionals in the field, staying up-to-date on current research and advancements, and continuing your education through workshops, conferences, and additional courses. It is also helpful to have a strong passion for the subject and a willingness to constantly learn and improve in order to be successful in this field.