Lorentz transformation and Lorentz force

In summary: I think you are confusing two different concepts here. The first is that in any reference frame, the equation of motion holds. The second is that in order for the equation of motion to hold in a particular reference frame, the fields must be changed using a Lorentz transform.
sweet springs
Lorentz transformation of electromagnetic field gives the relation ##E'=\gamma(E+v\times B)##.
Lorentz force per unit charge is given as ##F=E+v\times B## without ##\gamma##.
Don't we need coefficient ##\gamma## for F?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Why would you? There's no change of frame involved in the force expression. F' will include a ##\gamma## somewhere, which you can get either from transforming the force or from transforming E, B, and v.

Thanks. If I am right the transformation of force from a system S where a particle is moving at v_x to any system S' which is moving relative to system S at a speed -v_x, so the particle is at rest there.

[tex]F_x'=F_x,\ F_y'=\gamma F_y,\ F_z'=\gamma F_z[/tex]

In transforming force from S' ( where only E works ) to S, I am not sure how to deal with gamma in three directions.

P.S. Now I know that E and B also has inhomogeneity in directions and cancel out coefficient gamma. I am happy to confirm that Lorentz force formula holds strictly. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I would urge you to start using four-vector notation. These questions do not arise there. I think what you are missing is that momentum here is 'relativistic', i.e. ##\vec{Force}=d\vec{p}/dt## where ##\vec{p}=\gamma {m} \dot{\vec{r}}##

Assuimng that vector potential is static one can write the equation of motion for a charged point particle (directly from least action):

##\frac{dp_\alpha}{d\tau}=-qu^{\mu}F_{\mu\alpha}##

Where ##p_\alpha## is the covariant four-momentum, ##\tau## is proper time, ##u^\mu## is four-velocity and ##F_{\mu\alpha}## is the electromagnetic tensor, and ##q## is charge. Now we go into 3-dimensions and focus on spatial components:

##d\tau \to dt/\gamma##
##p_{\alpha=1,2,3} \to -\vec{p}##
##u^{\mu} \to \gamma \left(c, \dot{\vec{r}}\right)^\mu ##
##F_{0i} \to \vec{E}/c##
##F_{ij} \to -\epsilon_{ijk}\left(\vec{B}\right)^k##

You thus get

##\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}=q\left(\vec{E}+\dot{\vec{r}}\times\vec{B}\right)##

Since, by definition ##p_{\alpha}=m u_\alpha=m\gamma\left(c,\dot{\vec{r}}\right)_\alpha=(\dots,\vec{p})_\alpha##, we have ##\vec{p}=\gamma {m} \dot{\vec{r}}##

Likes vanhees71 and sweet springs
I should probably clarify. What analysis above tells you is that the equation above is valid in any reference frame, and that when moving between reference frames the electromagnetic fields should be changed using standard Lorentz transforms, to get ##d\vec{p}/dt## which by definition is the force on the object.

1. What is the Lorentz transformation and how does it relate to special relativity?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how measurements of space and time change between two inertial reference frames that are moving relative to each other. It is a key concept in special relativity, as it allows us to understand how physical laws, such as the speed of light, are the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does the Lorentz transformation affect the measurement of time and length?

The Lorentz transformation introduces the concepts of time dilation and length contraction, where measurements of time and length are observed to be different for observers in different reference frames. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the Lorentz force and how does it relate to electromagnetism?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the force experienced by a charged particle moving through an electromagnetic field. It is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. This force is essential for understanding how charged particles interact with each other and with electromagnetic fields.

4. How does the Lorentz force affect the motion of charged particles?

The Lorentz force is responsible for the circular motion of charged particles in a magnetic field, as well as the deflection of charged particles in an electric field. It also plays a role in the generation of electromagnetic radiation, such as light, as charged particles are accelerated by the electric and magnetic fields.

5. What is the significance of the Lorentz transformation and Lorentz force in modern physics?

The Lorentz transformation and Lorentz force are fundamental concepts that are central to understanding special relativity and electromagnetism. They have been extensively tested and validated through numerous experiments and are crucial for our understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds and in electromagnetic fields. They have also played a key role in the development of theories such as quantum mechanics and the standard model of particle physics.