Lottery Probabilities With Supplementary Numbers

In summary, the probability of winning division 1 in the lottery is 1.23E-7, while the probability of winning division 3 is 1/36689. The probabilities for division 4 and 5 are calculated differently due to the inclusion of supplementary numbers. The website does not provide a clear explanation of the role of supplementary numbers in the odds of winning, causing confusion for some players.
JamesV
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the probability of winning the lotto. 8 numbers are drawn between 1 and 45. The first six are 'winning' numbers, the last two are the 'supplementary' numbers. To win division 1, you need to get all six winning numbers right:

[itex]\binom {45}6 = 8145060[/itex]

Hence, the probability of winning division 1 is the inverse of that, or 1.23E-7.

To win division 3, you need to get 5 of the six winning numbers right. Now, from their website I know the odds of winning division 5 is 1/36689, which is the same as 222 / 8145060. I can come up with the 222 by:

[itex]\binom {6}5 \times \binom {45-8}1= 222[/itex]

Now, that gives me the right answer, but I can't really work out why. If I apply the same formula to division 4, which requires 4 of the six winning numbers, I get the wrong answer:

[itex]\binom {6}4 \times \binom {45-8}2= 9990[/itex]

But I can get the right answer by:

[itex]\binom {6}4 \times \binom {45-6}2= 11115[/itex]

I know what the probabilities are (from the website), but cannot understand how they came up with them, or why they're inconsistent between division 3 and 4. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
James

Mathematics news on Phys.org
JamesV said:
I'm trying to figure out the probability of winning the lotto.
Small. Really, really, small. :smile:

True, but hardly satisfies my mathematical curiosity.

The chance on winning the lottery is the same as saying that you need to find WannabeNewton in New York City. You go to New York City and you go to a random house and you knock on the door, and he answers.

So no good ideas then?

The website mentions some supplementary numbers but for the life of me I can't find a basic description of what they are, so I assume that changes the odds somewhat.

If those weren't around, then the number of ways to pick 5 winning numbers should be (6 choose 5), pick 5 winning numbers to select, *( 45-6 choose 1), pick one non-winning number to select. The number of ways to pick 4 winning numbers would be (6 choose 4)*(45-6 choose 2)

If the supplementary numbers are just two extra numbers they draw, then to pick 5 winning numbers but no supplementary numbers you would have (6 choose 5) ways of picking your winning numbers, then (45-8 choose 1) ways of picking your non winning, non supplementary number. Since there's no distinction between 4 winning numbers and 4 winning numbers plus supplementary numbers in the rules, the number of ways to pick 4 winning numbers is still (6 choose 4)*(45-6 choose 2)

I think they're just two extra numbers they pull out afterwards from the same pool of numbers.

Why, in the first case, is it (45-6 choose 1)? I understand the 45 is the number of options each ball could be, but what's the 6?

6 is the winning numbers, which you can't pick if you are picking a non-winning number.

The reason for the apparent inconsistency is here:
2 5 winning numbers + 1 or 2 supplementary numbers
3 5 winning numbers
4 4 winning numbers
With 5 winning numbers and either supplementary you would score div 2, so the correct definition of div 3 is 5 winning and no supplementary. There isn't a division for 4 winning plus some supplementary.

1. What are supplementary numbers in a lottery game?

Supplementary numbers, also known as bonus numbers, are additional numbers drawn in a lottery game that can increase the chances of winning a secondary prize. These numbers are not required to match in order to win the main jackpot, but can provide additional opportunities for players to win.

2. How many supplementary numbers are typically included in a lottery game?

The number of supplementary numbers varies depending on the specific lottery game. Some games may have one or two supplementary numbers, while others may have up to six. It is important to check the rules and regulations of the specific lottery game to know the exact number of supplementary numbers.

3. What are the odds of winning with supplementary numbers?

The odds of winning with supplementary numbers depend on how many supplementary numbers are included in the game and how many numbers a player must match to win a prize. Generally, the odds of winning with supplementary numbers are lower than the odds of winning the main jackpot, but they can still provide a better chance of winning a prize.

4. Can supplementary numbers be used to win the main jackpot?

No, supplementary numbers are only used to win secondary prizes. The main jackpot is typically won by matching all of the main numbers drawn in the lottery game. Supplementary numbers are only used to increase the chances of winning a secondary prize.

5. Are the probabilities of winning affected by the addition of supplementary numbers?

Yes, the addition of supplementary numbers does affect the probabilities of winning. The more supplementary numbers there are in a game, the lower the chances of winning a secondary prize become. However, this also means that the potential prize amount for secondary prizes may be higher due to the lower odds of winning.