Lower kinetic temperature implies population inversion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between lower kinetic temperature and population inversion in molecular clouds, specifically in the case of OH molecules in interstellar space. It is noted that not all materials with low kinetic temperatures exhibit population inversion and that more context is needed to determine the population inversion of what and based on which process. An example is given of infrared pumping from a nearby protostar or supernova remnant. The conversation also references a paper that discusses the possibility of population inversion for the energy levels leading to the 21 cm line and provides evidence for it in the Orion Veil. The main pumping process described in the literature involves a hydrogen atom absorbing a photon and becoming excited to the n=2 level, followed by emission of a slightly
TheCanadian
I was just wondering: why does lower kinetic temperature imply population inversion? I've read this is true in a few (astrophysics) texts regarding molecular clouds, although this seems to be a more general result that I haven't really read an entire explanation for. Nevertheless, do you have any idea on why low kinetic temperatures imply population inversion?

Science news on Phys.org
I think there is some context missing. Not every material with a low kinetic temperature has a population inversion (of what?).

mfb said:
I think there is some context missing. Not every material with a low kinetic temperature has a population inversion (of what?).

An example would be a low density sample (##\sim10^8## molecules/cm##^3##) of molecules such as OH in interstellar space.

There is still something missing.
Population inversion of what, based on which process?

mfb said:
There is still something missing.
Population inversion of what, based on which process?

To clarify an article where I read this from, it's in this paper which states:

Whether or not a population inversion can easily be realized for the energy levels leading to the 21 cm line, it has been considered in the existing literature (Shklovskii 1967; Storer & Sciama 1968; Dykstra & Loeb 2007), and we know of at least one region (the Orion Veil) where the kinetic temperature is lower than the 21 cm spin temperature, providing evidence for a population inversion (Abel et al. 2006). The main pumping process covered in the literature corresponds to the situation when a H I gas is close to a source of radiation that emits a field with an intensity Iv (n) in the neighborhood of the Lyα line. A hydrogen atom in the ground hyperfine state (n = 1, F = 0) can absorb a photon and become excited to the n=2 level. Later on, the atom returns to the upper hyperfine state (n = 1, F = 1), emitting a slightly less energetic photon than the initial one absorbed by the atom. The same can happen for a hydrogen atom initially in the hyperfine state (n = 1, F = 1) that returns to the ground (n = 1, F = 0) state after excitation to the n=2 level, emitting a slightly more energetic photon in the process. The absorption rate of the photons for both cases depends on the intensity of the radiation Iv (n), but the return (emission) process does not.

As far as I understand, it is just about experimental observation. If the temperature is high, you will see this 21 cm as thermal emission, and it gets hard to show population inversion. If the temperature is very low, on the other hand, thermal excitation is ruled out, and pumping processes are the most likely source.

1. What is lower kinetic temperature?

Lower kinetic temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. It is often used in thermodynamics to describe the temperature of a system where the particles have different velocities and energies.

2. What is population inversion?

Population inversion is a phenomenon that occurs when the majority of particles in a system are in higher energy states than lower energy states. This is opposite to the typical population distribution, where most particles are in lower energy states.

3. How does lower kinetic temperature lead to population inversion?

When the kinetic temperature of a system decreases, the particles in the system slow down and their energies decrease. As a result, a greater number of particles will occupy higher energy states, leading to a population inversion.

4. What is the significance of population inversion?

Population inversion is important in various scientific fields, including optics and laser technology. It allows for the efficient production of laser light, which is used in a wide range of applications such as medical procedures, communication, and manufacturing.

5. Can population inversion be achieved at any temperature?

No, population inversion can only occur at specific temperatures. In order to achieve population inversion, the temperature of the system must be lower than the critical temperature, which is different for each type of system. Additionally, other factors such as the number of particles and their interactions also play a role in achieving population inversion.