M. Tsamparlis' book on Special Relativity

In summary, this book is a comprehensive introduction to special relativity for beginning and intermediate graduate students. It has typos and errors in it, but is still a good resource.
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
I just stumbled over the following book on SRT

Michael Tsamparlis, Special Relativity, Springer (2010)

It's a gem! On the beginning-graduate level it explains the special theory of relativity from ground up, starting with a chapter on the math of Minkowski space and then providing a complete treatment of everything of the standard curriculum on the subject including a complete treatment of classical electromagnetism.

Then there are also gems of not so often to find topics like introducing non-inertial reference frames or the manifestly covariant description of the full proper orthochronous Lorentz group.

I think it's the most complete introductory advanced undergraduate, beginning-graduate-level book on SRT written since von Laue's famous first textbook of 1911. It provides solid ground for further more advanced studies like relativistic (viscous) hydrodynamics, relativistic kinetic theory, and relativistic (many-body) QFT.

Likes DrClaude, Demystifier, Orodruin and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing!

The difference between Lorenz and Lorentz had not been known to the author at the moment of publication (2010), a thing which is hard for me to accept.

Well, I'd not take this as a real flaw, which is perpetuated for decades before it was corrected by more history-of-science inclined people. There are more serious typos than that, like
$$x_{\mu} p_{\nu}-x_{\nu} p_{\mu} = \epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \nu} x^{\rho} p^{\nu} \quad \text{WRONG!}.$$
Nevertheless, it's a very good book, much more complete than many others.

I wish I could write typo-free manuscripts myself...

Likes dextercioby
I am sorry. For me writing something (from a mere post in PF or an answer on our competition's website) is a statement of passion. People writing papers, books, whatever leaving typos, grammatical errors are not passionate enough in my book, to have the patience to reread 10 times the manuscript to make sure it is really flawless. This is just me. My perfectionism.

I’m currently reading it, as it seems to cover exactly what I’m looking for. But I’m struggling with some of his ‘counting’ in the early chapters. E.g., in section 1.7, he derives the four connected components of the Lorentz group, based on the free selection of two signs. That’s fine. But for some reason he states that this gives “16 different Lorentz transformations”. 32, even, if rotations are included.

I’d love to know if anyone can unstick me on this, so I can progress to the physical content without this nagging at me.

1. What is the main focus of M. Tsamparlis' book on Special Relativity?

The main focus of M. Tsamparlis' book is to provide a comprehensive and accessible explanation of the theory of Special Relativity, including its fundamental principles and key concepts.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of physics?

Yes, this book is written with the intention of being accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge of physics. It includes clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the complex concepts of Special Relativity.

3. What makes this book different from other books on Special Relativity?

M. Tsamparlis' book offers a unique approach to teaching Special Relativity by using thought experiments and real-world examples to illustrate the concepts. It also includes a chapter on the historical development of the theory, providing a deeper understanding of its significance.

4. Are there any mathematical equations in this book?

Yes, this book does include mathematical equations, but they are presented in a way that is easy to understand for non-mathematical readers. The author also provides explanations and step-by-step calculations to help readers follow along.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for further studies on Special Relativity?

Yes, this book can serve as a valuable reference for students and researchers interested in delving deeper into the theory of Special Relativity. It includes a comprehensive index and bibliography for further reading.