Magnetic assisted rocket engine

In summary, the magnetic nozzle seems to be a promising way to adjust the throat of a rocket engine dynamically, but there are still some unanswered questions about the physics involved.
EL_bob
Hello everybody!

I have been thinking about something for a while now. I would like to make a magnetic nozzle for a rocket engine. Basically, I would like to ionize the hot and high pressure gaz in the combustion chamber and then use a strong magnetic field to adjust the nozzle throat dynamically.

The problem is how do I ionize the high pressure gaz..
To do so, I plan to use a RF source with Helicon antenna. With low pressure it is pretty straightforward and low frequency, but I figured by reading in the literature that for higher pressure the frequency would need to be much higher like 2.45Ghz

Can someone give me some enlightenments on the physics of high pressure ionization?

If it is not possible, I would try to ionize the gas in a physical nozzle as the pressure is very low, following venturi's law

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Based on your post, it sounds like plasma is relevant. Are you familiar with plasma and methods of making plasma?

If not, this article may help get you started. Then, the references linked at the bottom of the article give more details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

Yup, I want to make a high pressure plasma! I know well how to make plasma at low pressure, but at high pressure the ionization process seems very different and very low littérature is disponible...

Google 'magnetoplasmadynamic thruster'

Both techniques are made to work under vacuum with low density gases which is not my case.. Very interesting tho!

A rocket's exhaust is very hot. Have you checked how ionized those exhaust gasses are already?

The gas is around 3000K in the combustion chamber and cool down as it expend at the exhaust of the nozzle. I believe it is slightly ionize but not enough to do anything.

1. What is a magnetic assisted rocket engine?

A magnetic assisted rocket engine is a type of propulsion system that uses powerful electromagnets to accelerate and guide the flow of exhaust gases from a rocket engine, increasing its thrust and efficiency.

2. How does a magnetic assisted rocket engine work?

The engine uses a series of electromagnets placed around the exhaust nozzle. These magnets create a magnetic field that interacts with the ionized exhaust gases, causing them to accelerate and exit the nozzle at a higher velocity, thus increasing the thrust of the rocket.

3. What are the advantages of using a magnetic assisted rocket engine?

One major advantage is the increased thrust and efficiency, which can allow for faster and more efficient space travel. Additionally, this type of engine can be more environmentally friendly as it produces less harmful emissions compared to traditional rocket engines.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges with magnetic assisted rocket engines?

One limitation is the need for a power source to run the electromagnets. This can add weight and complexity to the rocket. Additionally, the design and implementation of the magnetic field must be precise in order to achieve the desired results.

5. Has a magnetic assisted rocket engine been used in space missions?

While magnetic assisted rocket engines have been tested and researched, they have not yet been used in any space missions. However, they are currently being developed for potential use in the future to improve space travel capabilities.