Magnetic confinement questions

In summary: If there are two arc shaped coils close to each other creating magnetic fields in the same direction, and a large torodial coil containing them which also creates magnetic field in the same direction but in much higher magnitude, is the plasma confined in the torodial field or does it escape to weaker field between the two little coils? If yes, does increasing the magnitude of torodial field or decreasing those of smaller coils limit the amount of loss?The toroidal field does not limit the amount of loss. The larger the toroidal field, the less loss. However, increasing the magnitude of the toroidal field will also increase the power required to sustain the plasma.3) What are some
TESL@
Hello all,

1) In tokamak, since torodial magnetic field is present everywhere, how come plasma is confined without touching the walls? Is the magnetic field stronger inside (I suppose it should be radially uniform) or is it the doing of position control coils/cusps?

2) If there are two arc shaped coils close to each other creating magnetic fields in the same direction, and a large torodial coil containing them which also creates magnetic field in the same direction but in much higher magnitude, is the plasma confined in the torodial field or does it escape to weaker field between the two little coils? If yes, does increasing the magnitude of torodial field or decreasing those of smaller coils limit the amount of loss?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charged particles spiral around magnetic field lines. If those field lines are closed like in a tokamak, they cannot escape. There are more details, but that is the most important thing that stops them from hitting walls.

I don't understand the coil geometry you describe in (2).

mfb,

solenoid_lines.png

As seen in the figure, magnetic field is not "focused" to the center of the coil that I suggest therefore plasma cannot be confined merely with torodial field coils but position control coils must also operate in order to keep plasma away from the walls (or wires in the picture).

I will draw how the second system would look and post it on here tomorrow.

This has nothing to do with the shape or field geometry of a tokamak.

mfb, I think you don't understand. I am asking you why plasma does not touch the walls where magnetic field is as strong as the inside. Why is plasma confined only in the middle?

The tokamak requires that the magnetic field lines be twisted along the toroidal axis, otherwise the plasma will simply leak out. This can be done by inducing a polodial plasma current, or by using another set of external magnets.

By twisted along, do you mean it should be in a torus shape or do you mean a polodial field must also be applied, creating a helix? I though the polodial field or current was needed to prevent charge accumulation and sustain the confinement. What I am saying is not relevant to that. I will ask it in a simpler way: There is a selenoid and plasma confined inside it. Two ends are plugged with mirror coils. Can the plasma escape from the selenoid, not the two ends? Where magnetic field is there might be plasma, so why does the plasma not reach the coil itself, or the walls?

Thank you.

TESL@ said:
By twisted along, do you mean it should be in a torus shape or do you mean a polodial field must also be applied, creating a helix?

The latter.

TESL@ said:
I though the polodial field or current was needed to prevent charge accumulation and sustain the confinement. What I am saying is not relevant to that.

I believe the prevention of charge separation is part of it, but in a homogeneous magnetic field (like in your solenoid above) particles will drift in a direction that is perpendicular to both the magnetic field lines and another applied force (such as gravity or an electric field).

TESL@ said:
I will ask it in a simpler way: There is a selenoid and plasma confined inside it. Two ends are plugged with mirror coils. Can the plasma escape from the selenoid, not the two ends?

I believe so. To my knowledge the particles can drift out of the center and collide with the solenoid walls.

See the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiding_center
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak#Toroidal_design

OK, I read more about the drift but I still cannot understand why magnetic confinement is even possible.

Imagine a magnetic mirror and plasma confined within. How does plasma not touch the coils? There is magnetic field around the wires as well as the inner part.

TESL@ said:
1) In tokamak, since torodial magnetic field is present everywhere, how come plasma is confined without touching the walls? Is the magnetic field stronger inside (I suppose it should be radially uniform) or is it the doing of position control coils/cusps?

The basic idea behind magnetic confinement is that charged particles are bound to individual field lines like beads on a string. Most of the individual field lines in a tokamak do not intsect the wall, and therefore most of the particles in a plasma do not interact with the wall.

That being said, the plasma does interact with the wall. The interaction is limited to a tiny fraction of the plasma volume. We call this region the "edge." What happens at the edge can have a huge effect on the core plasma performance. The physics of the edge plasma is significantly more complicated than the beads on a string picture. In the edge you have to worry about plasma/material interactions, sheath physics, atomic physics, etc. In truth, we don't fully understand the edge. And it is an active area of research.

Also the magnetic field in a tokamak is not radially uniform. Crudely speaking the torodial fields scales as 1/R.

Thanks the_wolfman. One more thing, if a little volume of plasma touches the walls, how is it different than no magnetic fields at all? If it is not different, then is tokamak meaningless without the polodial field?

TESL@ said:
Thanks the_wolfman. One more thing, if a little volume of plasma touches the walls, how is it different than no magnetic fields at all? If it is not different, then is tokamak meaningless without the polodial field?

Great question. The aim of magnetic confinement is to achieve a high temperature high density core plasma. However, the edge plasma has to be cold and low density so it doesn't destroy the wall. These means that there is a pressure gradient from the edge into the core. Magnetic confinement is really about building up that pressure gradient within the plasma.

The popular science description that magnetic confinement prevents plasma from touching the walls isn't exact. But its still a pretty good description of what we do. In large scale tokamaks, the core temperature is usually hundreds to thousands of times hotter than the edge. Similarly the core is orders of magnitude more dense than the edge.

Also all tokamaks have a poloidal field. The poloidal field provides stability and helps maintain force balance. It is an integral part of the tokamak concept. However, the poloidal field is usually small compared to the toroidal field. In simple models, the poloidal field is sometimes neglected because it is so small. This helps elucidate the underlining physical process. Such models are great for teaching purposes, but in reality we have to account for both fields. I should probably also mention that the poloidal field circles a minor axis (the magnetic axis) and does not cause the field to hit the wall.

TESL@ said:
Without the magnetic field, particles could directly move outwards and hit the wall. You would lose the plasma in microseconds. The particles cannot do that with a magnetic field, as particle migration from the inner parts to the outer parts is significantly reduced by the path a charged particle takes in the magnetic field.

Thanks mfb and the_wolfman, for your patience. Also I figured out the second question myself.

Update: https://www.iter.org/mach/magnets

In the "Polodial Field System" section, it states that:

The poloidal field (PF) magnets pinch the plasma away from the walls and contribute in this way to maintaining the plasma's shape and stability. The poloidal field is induced both by the magnets and by the current drive in the plasma itself.

1. What is magnetic confinement?

Magnetic confinement is a technique used to control and contain plasma, a hot ionized gas, within a magnetic field. This is commonly used in fusion research to reach the extremely high temperatures and pressures necessary for nuclear fusion to occur.

2. How does magnetic confinement work?

In magnetic confinement, a strong magnetic field is created to trap and confine the plasma, preventing it from coming into contact with the walls of the containment vessel. This is achieved by using powerful electromagnets arranged in a specific configuration, such as a toroidal (doughnut) shape, to create a magnetic bottle that keeps the plasma contained.

3. What are the advantages of magnetic confinement?

Magnetic confinement offers several advantages over other techniques for controlling and containing plasma. It allows for longer confinement times, which is necessary for achieving the high temperatures and pressures needed for fusion. It also produces less radioactive waste compared to other methods, making it a safer and more environmentally friendly option.

4. What are the challenges of using magnetic confinement for fusion?

One of the main challenges of magnetic confinement is the instability of the plasma. As the plasma is heated, it becomes more difficult to control and can escape from the magnetic field. This can lead to disruptions, where the plasma rapidly loses energy and can damage the containment vessel. Researchers are constantly working on ways to improve the stability and efficiency of magnetic confinement systems.

5. What is the current state of magnetic confinement research?

Magnetic confinement research is an active and ongoing area of study, with many projects and experiments around the world. The most well-known project is the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER), which is currently being built in France and aims to demonstrate the feasibility of fusion as a clean and sustainable energy source. Other projects, such as the Joint European Torus (JET) and the Wendelstein 7-X (W7-X) stellarator, are also making significant contributions to the advancement of magnetic confinement research.